Remote Access to your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullmax

Does anyone use remote access to your computer? I use it when I am at work if I have to restart scannercast or restart my computer in case my feed goes down.

sfd119

I use RDP to get to my main server, and then use RealVNC internally.

My problem with RDPing to the server is you don't have the sound drivers installed so you can't select devices, etc within ScannerCast or something.

dwh367

Does anyone use remote access to your computer? I use it when I am at work if I have to restart scannercast or restart my computer in case my feed goes down.

I use tightvnc on the computer that hosts my scanner feed and also on the computer that hosts my Echolink station. If you don't have a static IP, you will have to use dyndns, or something similar, to get any type of remote access to work correctly.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Remote access (via SSH) is the *only* way I can get to my feed computer! ;) But then it's an embedded computer running Linux - doesn't even have a monitor or keyboard...

2guntom

Remote Access? Why didn't I think of that?!

I like hanging around smart people; I learn stuff...

Thanks for the tips guys. That will save me a ton of unnecessary trips.

I saw the link for LogMeIn, but where do you go to find SSH? I did a search but the findings were varried.

Last edited:

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I saw the link for LogMeIn, but where do you go to find SSH? I did a search but the findings were varried.

SSH is a daemon (service) that is quite common in the Unix / Linux / BSD world. It's (natively) text-only, although it can forward X11 apps if you want.

There is a Windows *client*, I use PuTTY on my work PC (XP) to connect back home, but I'm not sure about a windows *server* - not sure just how that would fit into the Windows world anyway...

On my Linux boxes I'm using OpenSSH: OpenSSH although it is almost always installed from the repository for the distro you are using instead of downloaded directly.

And PuTTY: PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client

To remotely access a Windows system, I either just use Remote Desktop (quick and easy since it's already there) or use one of the VNC programs. There are a bunch! The one I'm using at work is UltraVNC: Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control although I can't vouch for current versions - I'm still using the same one I downloaded three years ago when I started with my current employer! :p It has a bunch of nifty features not found in vanilla VNC clients.

Of course, *all* of these methods require the server be Internet reachable. I now have a business account with fixed IPs at my house, but before that I used DynDNS's service to give my dynamic home IP a domain name (as was mentioned above). It's free! DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting You have to be able to update their system with your current IP when it changes. Many cable/DSL routers have that functionality built in now, or if not (or your modem goes straight to the computer) you can run a client app on your computer.

2guntom

My live feed is on a Dell desktop, running XP. Internet by high speed cable.

I installed LogMeIn.
When I tried to access it from another computer, the Dell desktop would lock up, and I mean lock up solid.
I thought I'd play with it later, but I couldn't get the software to turn off; it got deleted.

I installed the Ultra VNC. I was trying to find an owners manual anywhere to show me how to set it up, but I couldn't. I couldn't figure out what to type in where to make it work. And that stuff can't be shut off! It got deleted too.

What is the "dummy's" version of remote control that you can walk this dummy through?

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
If you are running XP Professional, you could try just using Remote Desktop that comes with XP. When you access the computer via RD, the screen goes to the locked screensaver, so you can't have someone else using the computer while you are on it too, the only caveat.

Go into Control Panel, open System, then click on the Remote tab. Remote Desktop is the lower section. Check the "Allow users to connect remotely" box, and if the User you normally use doesn't have Administrator rights add it to the list in the Select Remote Users window (hit the button, it'll open a window).

BE SURE you have a good password on your username, especially if you are going to expose this to the Internet at large!

At this point, you should be able to use another Windows computer to connect to that one. Go to Start -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop Connection. (This is present already in XP and newer, there is a download available from Microsoft for Win2K.) Enter the IP address (or domain name if you have one set up) of your computer, and click Connect. If it can connect, it should ask you for the username / password, then display your desktop.

Some of that is from memory, but it's really quite simple once you have access to the computer!

Now, if you try that from another computer on the same network, you need to use the IP that the computer itself has. Probably a private 192.168.x.x number.

If you try to connect from elsewhere across the Internet, you will have to use the IP your ISP gives to your router (this is where Dyndns comes in real handy, so you don't have to keep track of the current IP) *and* you need to forward UDP port 3389 to the internal IP address of your XP computer. So, on the remote machine you will enter the IP address your ISP gave you, and it will try to connect to that. The router at your house sees the connection, and passes it on to the XP computer.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
For UltraVNC, did you find the online install and config pages?

Install: Install - UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool,Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

Configure server: Configure - UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool,Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

To get to the configuration screen, once you have installed there should be an icon in the systray (looks sort of like an eye on mine). You can double-click that, and the config window opens. The short-and-sweet is to make sure the "Accept Socket Connections" box is checked, then put in a VNC password.

Once those are done, you should be able to run the UltraVNC *client* on another computer, point it to your computer's IP (again, the actual computer IP if on the same network, or your public IP if on the 'net) and it will ask for the VNC password, then show the desktop.

In this case, you will have to forward port 5900 inside your router to get access remotely.

UltraVNC does also support a browser-mode so you don't have to install the client on the other machines, but I don't normally use it. Check the "Enable JavaViewer" box and it should let you browse to something like "192.168.1.2:5800" (the IP must be your computer's IP, again) and bring up your desktop in the browser.

That's the quick-n-dirty rundown. Does that help any?!? :p

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
With any of these, I'd suggest a non-standard port. I.e. don't use 5900 for VNC...use something like 15241.

Makes a port scan much harder...

PeterGV

K1PGV
I use... Windows LiveMesh.

Quite nice, actually. Basically, the exact same as RDP but without the remote configuration hassles. Quite secure, also.

Peter
K1PGV

2guntom

For UltraVNC, did you find the online install and config pages?

Install: Install - UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool,Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

Configure server: Configure - UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool,Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

To get to the configuration screen, once you have installed there should be an icon in the systray (looks sort of like an eye on mine). You can double-click that, and the config window opens. The short-and-sweet is to make sure the "Accept Socket Connections" box is checked, then put in a VNC password.

Once those are done, you should be able to run the UltraVNC *client* on another computer, point it to your computer's IP (again, the actual computer IP if on the same network, or your public IP if on the 'net) and it will ask for the VNC password, then show the desktop.

In this case, you will have to forward port 5900 inside your router to get access remotely.

UltraVNC does also support a browser-mode so you don't have to install the client on the other machines, but I don't normally use it. Check the "Enable JavaViewer" box and it should let you browse to something like "192.168.1.2:5800" (the IP must be your computer's IP, again) and bring up your desktop in the browser.

That's the quick-n-dirty rundown. Does that help any?!? :p

After reading it the 6th time, the murky waters are clearing slightly. I've got to get back to the office/shop and re-install VNC.

One of the other forum members is PM'ing me and offering his help.

What is interesting is that ScannerCast has not hiccuped since I tried the different remote software. Probably unrelated, but just an observation.

ScannerCast used to hiccup every few days, or if I did anything on the computer. It's been running fine, and I gave the computer a good workout yesterday and today without restarting.

2guntom

I use... Windows LiveMesh.

Quite nice, actually. Basically, the exact same as RDP but without the remote configuration hassles. Quite secure, also.

Peter
K1PGV

So, you're the guy that wrote/made ScannerCast? And you say that LiveMesh is easy?! :eek::roll::lol:
(I'm chuckling because "easy" to you is probably quite above "advanced" for me)

Have you tried VNC or LogMeIn? If so, what makes LiveMesh better.

2guntom

To Everyone -

I guess I need to hang around smart people more often...

I can't figure that stuff out.

To everybody:

I greatly appreciate your patience and help!

I've been scanning for 20 years and computing for 15, but this stuff here makes me feel like I've stepped off into the deep end of the pool without my water wings!

I trust that with all the help, I will add remote controlling to my resume soon.

Thanks again for your continuing patience, advice and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.