Remote control radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

NECW4

Looking to buy a 2m/440 radio that I can remotely control over the internet. I would also need it to transmit out of the ham band. i have read up on ham radio deluxe. But would it go out of the ham band even if the radio was moded? If anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks

stevelton

Well, I know the first question I, and Im sure several others are going to ask is...

Why would you need to transmit on a radio through the internet from a remote location, on frequencies other than Ham frequencies.

Also, from my experience, there are not very many RR members who are willing to give out info on illegally modding ham radios, and not many people are going to condone that type of operation.

Now I know with my business repeaters, I am thinking of setting up a scanner feed so I can monitor their operation while I am away from the area. But even then, I would not be holding conversations on there, so there would be no need for me to have the ability to transmit.

Please give us a little more insight as to the "why you need to do this".

Steven

NECW4

I own a couple repeaters that are not in the ham band that i would like to be able to transmit on when i am out of the state. I also would like to use this way of doing it because I don't plan on putting any more antennas on my house. so i would like to control my radio from a remote location via the computer. And if there is a way to do this NOT using a ham radio i would love the input. That's why I'm here. Thanks

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Here is a link to a presentation that someone made, maybe for his local ham radio club, about remote control of a ham radio over the Internet:

http://www.rmvhf.org/hamcon09/RC-AS-Int_Talk_0609.pdf

I didn't read the whole thing, but it may give you some insight into how to make this work.

There are some devices being marketed to hams to handle the hardware side of the remote control interface between a computer and radio. The web sites of the two that I found advertised in QST are:

SM2O - Radio Remote Control RRC-1258

Glentek - RF and Analog Remote Monitoring

As Stevelton inferred, transmitting outside of the amateur radio bands with a radio that is not FCC certified for the band where you are operating is generally a violation of FCC rules. I'm assuming your repeaters are operating in Part 90 or Part 95, so you would protect the legality of your operation by finding a way to interface with a Part 90 or Part 95 radio.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Repeater controllers may be accessed and operated using DTMF tones over the air by users wishing to activate/deactivate user enabled features and via telco lines by a control operator as a safeguard against faulty and/or illegal operation. This is common practice saving sending someone to the site except when all else fails. A voice link may be an adjunct to control so I suggest you look in this direction rather than violating the law when you can do it legally from a telephone anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.