Remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine noticed a switchman had some type of a large vest-mount device to control a locomotive (although there was an engineer in the cab) during a switching move at warehouse where I work, perhaps a remote control. Is this true or has anyone seen this?

KG4ZPD

Yes. I have seen this used. In fact I have a friend that works for CSX and have witnessed this first hand. Its quite impressive actually. Reason for the human in the cab is to take control in case the remote fails. Also, there are short line railroads that used "wired" remotes. Plug-n-Play...lol. Engineer takes the remote and plugs it in to an outlet on either side of the engine.

KG4ZPD

Its more or less used on short line rr's and the class 1's when they operate the local runs. My friend has used the wireless remote when it was just him (rarely) so instead of stopping the train, getting out, walking to disconnect then go back to the headend, he used the remote to pull foward to disconnect or back up to connect. Even when there was mutil track sidings and drop off's he could stand outside, operate the train and switches at the same time. But keep in mind him being by hisself was rare. I'm still doing reasearsh on the whole thing myself. Hope this helps out a little.

Scan-Denver

This remote setup is used often in the downtown area (Denver) for switching tracks and cars. There are signs posted indicating locomotive is operated by remote control.

TDHG4U61

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, that helps a lot. Well, I just thought it would be easy for a human to be in the cab and work the main sonsole, cool, thanks for the info.. Amos

BigC801

Thats not an engineer in the cab, its another trainman, at least here on the UP the rco operator thats ridding in the cab is there to make the pull out move where they dont have positive stop protection. Even though he might be sitting in the cab, he still uses his box to countrol the loco. If the remote fails the computer stopes the loco on its own, most of the time both guys are on the ground except where they do not have much room or there is a main or somthing like that to worry about.

RRgumshoe

LOL This reminds me when I first started off in the railroad.......

I was over on CSX's property one evening and I see one of their locomotives go by and I look up and I see no one in the cab! Being a rookie in the rail and as an officer I didn't know what to think. Then I look over and read the big sign that said Warning about remote controled trains.

I felt like a big dope, thinking we had a runaway train. Thank god I never called that in on the radio, that one would have never been lived down.

BigC801

Lmao, me too. Does make you wonder somtimes. I got my RCO licence back in 04 for some reason they thought i needed it, even though i spend my time on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.