Remote Desktop for Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bReed11091

I'm not going to be at the location where my feed setup is all the time, so I'm looking for a remote desktop control server that I can set up on the computer with the feed. That way, if anything happens to go wrong, I can troubleshoot it and get the feed back online from anywhere with an internet connection.

I'm not going to pay money for a server, and the computer it needs to be installed on is running Xubuntu 8.04. My remote computer alread has NX Client installed on it.

I was playing around with NX Server on the Xubuntu machine, but before I tried anything further I wanted to see if anyone else has gone about setting up something similar. Any ideas are appreciated!

jpryor

I primarily use VNC for all of my remote PC interaction. Specifically I use RealVNC - RealVNC remote control software for both Server and Viewer on multiple boxes and operating systems. VNC also offers a Java/HTTP server so you can interact from anywhere with only a web browser. RDP is often annoying at least on Windows machines as it sometimes disrupts the sound card device audio mapping.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
+1 on Real VNC. That and a free DNS service like NO-IP if you have a Dynamic IP. I use DD-WRT on my router and it handles the NO-IP updates for me with no 3rd party client running on the computer.

I primarily use VNC for all of my remote PC interaction. Specifically I use RealVNC - RealVNC remote control software for both Server and Viewer on multiple boxes and operating systems. VNC also offers a Java/HTTP server so you can interact from anywhere with only a web browser. RDP is often annoying at least on Windows machines as it sometimes disrupts the sound card device audio mapping.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
http://logmein.com is FREE and doesn't require any special settings to get through your firewalls. You install on the remote, you access from a webpage.

And it's free ;)

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I use the free version of Logmein.com... Works well enough when I need it.
EDIT: Looks like Rdale and I posted at the same time. Consider that 2 votes for logmein

SCPD

QRT
I also use logmein i used to use vnc but its a pain if my ip changes on the server and i need to reconfigure the port forwarding on the router. Logmein is the way to go.

nexus

Logmein is only for windows and macintosh operating systems. So it would be a useless solution for him. VNC is a good one to use though.

Status
Not open for further replies.