Remote Head for SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Reading a (closed) thread on the possibility of a remote head for the SDS200, and in the process of buying a new Ford F-150 Lariat, I’ve concluded there is really no place to mount the radio without difficulty. I doubt the seat rail mounts would handle the weight of the radio but welcome any advice on how to mount the scanner.

However, Connect Systems (Amateur radio DMR) makes a remote display called the BFD (Big Freakin Display), an open source device which is also a remote head. It currently supports a few of Connect Systems radios. The BFD allows for split or quad screening. But since it’s open source, I imagine it could allow for the SDS200 if there was someone who could produce the proper connectivity for the SDS200. Connect Systems does not currently have an interest in supporting the scanner even though the ham community has a limited interest in the idea. My guess is providing support for a receiver only would be less complicated than if it were a transceiver. But to date, I have not seen any efforts in that regard. The idea of using the BFD would satisfy the need for a remote head and reduce the cost because any remote head Uniden was to provide in the future would cost at least twice as much as the BFD ($150), if the cost of their previous remote head is any indication of what they would charge for one that works with the SDS200. I have one of Uniden’s remote heads, and although it’s rather large, it worked nicely. Trouble is, it’s not compatible with the SDS200! Hoping someone can provide feedback on getting the SDS200 to work with the BFD.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The BFD compatibility is out of my wheelhouse but I doubt that can be done. As far as a mounting option, I'm retired now but when a particular City went nxdn before scanners were capable we used laptops mounted in the cars and DSD.

The main support pole did attach to the front left seat rail bolt. You had to assemble the laptop mount exactly to specifications for it to be secure and tight but it would surely handle the weight of an sds200. Just a thought.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The BFD compatibility is out of my wheelhouse but I doubt that can be done. As far as a mounting option, I'm retired now but when a particular City went nxdn before scanners were capable we used laptops mounted in the cars and DSD.

The main support pole did attach to the front left seat rail bolt. You had to assemble the laptop mount exactly to specifications for it to be secure and tight but it would surely handle the weight of an sds200. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recall the makers if the main support pole that fastened to the rail bolt?

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recall the makers if the main support pole that fastened to the rail bolt?

Could be this one....

or

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I actually don't remember the brand name but it looks just like what Terry is showing, the base of the pole had a secure flat surface that really made it sturdy. Easy to come on and off.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Warning - this is a very long thread

'nuff said...Mike

cpfinlay

Feed Provider

Warning - this is a very long thread

'nuff said...Mike

I have one and it works perfectly. The current version uses a plastic case, but they are talking about producing it with a more durable case to better endure heat extremes.

firemun

Feed Provider
I have 2018 F150 Lariat and used the BuiltRight Industries center dash bracket to mount SDS 200 + a control head for a Moto. If you do not find the remote head solution, the BuiltRight bracket is a great solution. I am very happy with mine.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have 2018 F150 Lariat and used the BuiltRight Industries center dash bracket to mount SDS 200 + a control head for a Moto. If you do not find the remote head solution, the BuiltRight bracket is a great solution. I am very happy with mine.
Currently awaiting the 2021 version of the built right mount… promised but delayed due to supply chain shortages in the steel industry according to Builtright…

Status
Not open for further replies.