WS1098: Remote head needs to be connected for FW/DSP update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

A friend called and said his 1098 was showing an error code and not receiving. He's not a technical person (I set up and programmed this scanner for him last spring) so I went and got it, thinking probably a corrupt SD card. I knew it was due for a FW update too but he'd been happy with how it was working so there was no hurry on that part.

I had no problem reading the SD card (with a USB card reader) in E-Z Scan; it didn't look corrupted. But I formatted it (SDFormatter) and reloaded the data anyway. Reinstalled in scanner and tried to connect for FW update...all I got was the "waiting for main unit" message, while the computer would beep is if the USB was connecting...then give the tone that means the device has been unplugged several seconds later. This would repeat ad infinitum until I unplugged the scanner again. I tried connecting my own 1098 and it popped up immediately, no issue connecting at all. That eliminated the possibility that Windows 10 had back-stabbed my driver install.

Through trial and error I ended up cleaning the contacts on the main unit and the head; this guy is a smoker and has several pets in his house, so the scanner was kind of grungy. The next time I plugged it in, it connected immediately. No issue whatsoever updating the FW (DSP was already current). And the scanner has been running since late last night.

I'm now thinking that he had discontinuity between the head and the main unit, rather than a corrupted SD card.

Do these have to have the head connected for the USB to connect to the computer? I was thinking that I had updated my 1098 once with the head not in place but I may be mistaken.

Ed6698

Do these have to have the head connected for the USB to connect to the computer? I was thinking that I had updated my 1098 once with the head not in place but I may be mistaken.

Well I just tried it. Something very weird to me is happening. The head is disconnected from scanner, but the scanner is connected to computer via USB cable. The scanner is working and scanning just as if the head is connected. Very weird. LOL

I also just disconnected USB from scanner and computer and the scanner is running with no head. LOL

Ed6698

Yes it will run without a head if it was powered up when you removed it.

My 1095 was off when I removed the head. It is starting up after I connect the USB cable with the head off. It will not let me do any updates to SD card. However it will let me run the Control Demo.

DJ11DLN

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm going to guess that there was perhaps some corruption in the FW causing me trouble with this scanner. Once I got it to "pop," it loaded up and ran just fine and is back with the owner who is quite happy with the results.

It's a results-oriented world...

Status
Not open for further replies.