Remote Head Radio's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I'm thinking about switching the radio in the truck to one with a remote head to conserve space, Can someone tell me what radio's have remote heads that I can do this with and if they're digital or not, Thanks!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you mean scanners, ham radios, or commercial radios?

Many companies make remotable radios for commercial without having to spend the stupid prices on an XTL, Kenwood would be the top choice for me if I had to buy new and a good choice for a budget used VHF or UHF radio (or a single head VHF/UHF radio :D)

btritch

I was really referring to scanners as I really have no use for a two way radio although it that was a last option, I'd use it without the transmitt functions... I didn't think they made any remote head scanners, I couldn't find any in the places that I'd looked but I figured they made them..Scanner would be 1 and two way 2 if that's all they have.. Thanks! I forgot to specify!

KC0QNB

Most of the high end bearcats have a remote head you can buy. If you get your ham ticket Icom makes a couple of rigs with that capability, you have been studying right?

btritch

yes, I've haven't lately like I should have been, but here while back I used to be, I had a guy that was licensed and he was helping me with it but then he worked for an ISP that I had and I dropped it and when I dropped it apparently he dropped me, I haven't heard from him since... lol If I had a place I could study it say online for example I would, Although, I don't know where I'd take the test...hmmm...I'll have to check on that...how hard is the test?

captclint

Mentor
I'm thinking about switching the radio in the truck to one with a remote head to conserve space, Can someone tell me what radio's have remote heads that I can do this with and if they're digital or not, Thanks!
Here is the remote head BC-RH96. You can see which scanners support it. The 996 & 396 are digital.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

yes, I've haven't lately like I should have been, but here while back I used to be, I had a guy that was licensed and he was helping me with it but then he worked for an ISP that I had and I dropped it and when I dropped it apparently he dropped me, I haven't heard from him since... lol If I had a place I could study it say online for example I would, Although, I don't know where I'd take the test...hmmm...I'll have to check on that...how hard is the test?
Practice test here
test locations within 100 miles of you
Study guide here
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.