Remote Indoor Antenna Setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

I don't know if this is the forum where I posted about the TV interferring with my Pro 433 a few months ago or not, but to an extent, it still is. What's weird, on 155.640, Callahan Co., the interference signal gets much stronger whent the TV and DVR or shut off!

Anyway, I had maybe not a good idea, but an idea.

I was wondering about getting some scanner coax, and if there is such an animal, a double female BNC connector, and putting the telescoping antenna from the scanner back in a bedroom away from the TV.

I wonder if that would work, or just be a waste of time and money, and me not be able to receive anything?

Thanks-

Don_Burke

It stands a chance.

Get the antenna to do two things:

1. reduce the amount of signal you get from your home electronics

2. increase the amount of signal you get from the desired transmitters

At work I have antenna hidden in a broadcast studio because it has a big window facing what I want to listen to most.

scanaholic

Well, I'll be! I may give that a shoot, Don! I've got a little Radio Shack pocket change and may get the stuff and go for it.

Thanks!

scanaholic

I checked Shack's web site, and can't find a double female type connector to hook the cable to the male plug of the telescoping antenna. Wonder if they have such a thing? Found it on their web site.

Last edited:

scanaholic

What type antenna is yours, Don? I plan on just using the telescoping antenna from the radio. It's not the one that came with it and is really good on hi, UHF & 800. It has the BNC connection.

Don_Burke

I made a VHF high coaxial antenna out of some old RG 59 and connected it with RG 6 quad shield from WallyWorld.

The lack of radials made it easy to hide behind the sound foam.

I am very pleased with the performance. Now I have a UHF quandary to solve. :)

scanaholic

Thanks, n5ims. The guy at Shack said it wouldn't do any good, but I'm going back and get the stuff and do it anyway, just to see. Thought it over. We never know til we try this stuff.

hoser147

I don't know if this is the forum where I posted about the TV interferring with my Pro 433 a few months ago or not, but to an extent, it still is. What's weird, on 155.640, Callahan Co., the interference signal gets much stronger whent the TV and DVR or shut off!

Anyway, I had maybe not a good idea, but an idea.

I was wondering about getting some scanner coax, and if there is such an animal, a double female BNC connector, and putting the telescoping antenna from the scanner back in a bedroom away from the TV.

I wonder if that would work, or just be a waste of time and money, and me not be able to receive anything?

Thanks-

I have the same type setup for 800 mhz, couldnt pull in the city I wanted so I took it out and up, Works great. BTW radio shack has another female to female in with the computer stuff it has a plastic housing on it..................Hoser

scanaholic

Hi, Hoser-

Sounds good. Glad that worked for you. I thought I would see what I could get in here with the handheld, test the water, and I couldn't believe there's a signal blocking 155.640 in here! Not sure it's the TV, but it comes and goes as I walk the apartment out with the HH. I'd probably still do better to rig the ant. up back here.

scanaholic

Well, as it goes with my so-called "projects", Shack had one connector I needed, but not the 259input-BCNoutput(male) connector, (to hook to the scanner ant. connection) not even in their order book. That's the way my mop flops.

I'll see if a man & wife ham team that goes to our church might have one of those animals.

If there is anyone on here who lives in Abilene that might have that type connector, post in, and I'll pm you my pho. and address.

Thanks~

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Do you have cable TV if so check your connections or in a apartment check your neighbors. I lived in a apartment and the old man down stairs had a loose cable tv connection going into his VCR which created a cable leak and screwed with my scanner and VHF ham gear.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks, n5ims. The guy at Shack said it wouldn't do any good, but I'm going back and get the stuff and do it anyway, just to see. Thought it over. We never know til we try this stuff.

Free advice: NEVER listen to the advice of a Radio Shack salesman. Ever.

The idea is technically sound, and has a decent chance of helping.

mancow

Database Admin
Personally... I would get the RadioShack ground plane antenna for $25 (often referred to here as Sputnik), a run of cable long enough to get you where you want it but not over 25 feet. One of their kits with the PL259 ends would work. Then I would get a simple BNC end out of their parts drawer. Cut off one of the PL259s, install the BNC and you are golden. I bet it would open up a world of signals for you.

Well, as it goes with my so-called "projects", Shack had one connector I needed, but not the 259input-BCNoutput(male) connector, (to hook to the scanner ant. connection) not even in their order book. That's the way my mop flops.

I'll see if a man & wife ham team that goes to our church might have one of those animals.

If there is anyone on here who lives in Abilene that might have that type connector, post in, and I'll pm you my pho. and address.

Thanks~

Last edited:

scanaholic

Sounds like a great plan, mancow. I'm kinda under the weather with some stuff, but when I get to feeling better, I will sure see about that.

Thanks-

scanaholic

I see, coulterman17. Sounds like a good one. Are they good for UHF too? I once had what I thought might be this antenna years ago, and the only band that one was good on, was high band.
I would have to rig it up in the back room here being we're in an apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.