Remote mounting head for DCD996T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakecharmer

I sold my nice big truck with all kinds of room for radio equipment in favor of something with better than 10mpg but now find that I don't have anywhere to mount my scanner. I would like to remote mount the head but dont want to pay what the discontinued remote head kit costs. I would like to know if it is possible to remove the faceplate from the scanner and build a harness to go between the faceplate and the scanner? Has anybody tried this? I did read through the thread about the Arduino based remote display but it just made my brain bleed. I can solder but am in no way a programmer so that's not a good option for me.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There used to be a product out like that for the BC796D. It cost about $500 at the time.

The unit is not designed to easily do what you want.

KD0LDK

I'm sure it's possible to remove the front head and mount it somewhere else but it's going to take a cable with quite a few conductors I'm sure. Have you considered a handheld scanner with remote head kit?

snakecharmer

The problem is that I don't want to pay the $180+ for the remote head kit so there would be no advantage to a handheld. If I bought the kit I would keep the one I have because I am very happy with it and Im sure I would lose my a** trying to sell it to buy a digital handheld. Worst case scenario is that I mount it in place of my factory radio but I do listen to it from time to time so I wanted to retain it if possible. I was hoping maybe someone on here had taken one apart before and could tell me how many wires there are and if they are connected in such a way that would allow them to be extended.

KD0LDK

Ah, well that I understand. I'm sure the case isn't too hard to pop apart, may be worth a look. I'd be surprised if anybody has actually separated a mobile scanner like that, doesn't mean it can't be done!

lep

SCANNERMASTER, the advertiser on these pages used to manufacture a remote head in both an assembled and a kit form. I purchased two and installed them in my Toyota with the actual scanner under the passengre front seat, this installaiton used to be in a collection of photos on their web site but I don't know if that is still shown. The head used a custom case which is the same case as the more recent Uniden remote head. I took my 796 out of the auto after a 700 MHz system showed up in my town and now use a 996T in the same spot. Works fine. The remote head is considerably more complex a scheme than just "separating" the panels. The kit included a new flat blace face plate for the case so that the 796 became a My recollection is that yes, it was Expensive but not quite at the $500 level mentioned. My 996 works great with the Uniden remote head, these were sold by ScannerMaster about 2 years ago at a 'closeout' price of about $100. I have had no reason to look into it but you should try them or search E-bay there no doubt they still exist.

DogBone384

The problem is that I don't want to pay the $180+ for the remote head kit so there would be no advantage to a handheld. If I bought the kit I would keep the one I have because I am very happy with it and Im sure I would lose my a** trying to sell it to buy a digital handheld. Worst case scenario is that I mount it in place of my factory radio but I do listen to it from time to time so I wanted to retain it if possible. I was hoping maybe someone on here had taken one apart before and could tell me how many wires there are and if they are connected in such a way that would allow them to be extended.

I thought the same thing, until I did it. I have a 396XT and 96 remote head in my '06 Tundra. I ran my antenna cable and power to my center console and put the 396 in there and have the head mounted at the front of my center console. It works great. I rationalized it in a way that it beats buying a 996 & 396 separately.....

Good luck with whatever you wire up...

Status
Not open for further replies.