remote unattended programming / operation of late model Uniden scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghg

Premium Subscriber
We have several Uniden scanners in remote unattended operation, mostly to gather audio for INDOT and the Purdue Traffic Lab.

Starting with the BCD-996P2, we noticed that the scanner control port is now a plain USB port
that emulates a serial port to the scanner. Prev models had a "real" serial port.
All this works fine, until Microsoft wants to install Windows updates on the host computer.
The host computer then reboots to install updates. After rebooting, scanner control is lost.
One must power cycle the scanner to get it's USB serial port to respond again. My hunch is that
once the USB serial port connection is initialized and started, the scanner has no way to
detect when the host PC got rebooted/restarted. The scanner just keeps sending data out
it's USB serial port, but since the host PC got reset, the USB connection then hangs. There appears
to be nothing we can do when remotely logged in to the PC to get the scanner control to work again,
short of having a person go out and power cycle the scanner.

On the 992P2, there is a "real" serial port on the back to add a GPS. One can use a "null modem"
DB-9 cable, wiith two female connectors, and connect that to a real (can be a USB) serial port
on the PC. This setup works fine and the scanner control is not lost after a PC reboot.

This setup can also be remote programmed (via Proscan or Butel).

Now enter the BCD 436/536. Also a GPS serial port on the back -- works with Proscan.
However we now have "Favorite lists" for programming. It is no longer possible to do a remote unintended
programming operation. The front USB port must be used to program, and one must enter "E" on
power up (or USB plug in detection) to select Mass Storage mode. The programming software
writes to files on the SD card, and on scanner reboot, it reads in those files on the SD card.
For us, the 536 Audio on P25 systems is very "bassy", to the point of not understanding it.
It is easy to add software audio equalization to limit bass and boost treble (around 1000 Hz and up)
to make the audio much more understandable. A human (or very smart button pushing robot) is
needed in the scanner room to allow remote programming.

Now enter the SDS100.
Much better audio than 536HP on P25. SDS100 audio similar to 536 when audio equalization added.
Some individual radios come out a little "tinny", rest are ok. 536 with equalizer did this too.
However we have now lost the external GPS "real" serial port. This means Proscan
must use the supplied USB mini cable to the scanner. This works fine until the PC gets
rebooted, and the scanner end of the USB serial port does not detect the PC reboot, so
the USB serial connection is lost until the scanner is power cycled (or possibly physically
unplugging/replugging the usb cable. Appears to be the same bug that started in the 996P2,
carried on to the 536HP and now the SDS100. This hampers both remote operation and
programming of the SDS100.

Will the future models (base station versions) of the SDS100 have a "real" serial port
for a GPS like the 996P2/536HP do? That would at least allow remote unattended operation
(but not programming).

UPMAN or anyone else feel free to comment.
Thanks

--ghg
KB9TBN
ghg@purdue.edu

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Just disable windows updates.

Ack. That's a horrible idea for any operating system.

To the OP, I see many devices moving toward USB and away from DB-9 ports. I doubt we'll see movement in the other direction.

ke0hfc

If a system must remain up, updates should be done with a person in attendance never automatically.

Also, only after a proper backup is done first.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If a system must remain up, updates should be done with a person in attendance never automatically.

Also, only after a proper backup is done first.
It depends on the system in question. There are many ways to do this automatically, and remotely, without creating much risk. I would hope the backups are on a frequency, not when updates are due. :)

phask

Premium Subscriber
Setup a remote device to power cycle the scanner. That's a band-aid though.

I do know some new protocols were added to the command syntax, though I do not think it applies to the 996P2 or whether it would help.

There are some other posts on here somewhere as others have had issues.

ghg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the power cycle idea. I have one of these on order
USB Controlled Power strip, USB Relay control, Computer Watchdog, Power saving power strip, Digital IO, Computer watchdog, Power meter, Industrial controller

That is for USB control of a 120V outlet. SDS100 is powered by USB when plugged
into a PC. The 120V switched outlet switches an Anker 7 port USB powered hub. Many
USB powered hubs will run low current devs without ext power, this one requires power though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZQ07NE/

So two bandaids.

The SDS100 audio out when going to a computer has noticable "hum" (120 Hz?), clicking, etc from
scanning ops, down about -30DB.. enough to still notice. Figured it might be a ground loop.
Got a 1:1 audio isolation transformer, which cleared it up completely. Older model Uniden scanners
were powered from a wall wart, so that helped prevent ground loops. Below transformer did the trick and it only costs $8.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171PQLB8/

--ghg KB9TBN

mancow

Database Admin
I have a 536 at a remote site. I use both the back and front ports. As you said the back comes up fast and it's stable. I use that for proscan control. The front is used for programming. I use a USB remote p25 switch to get into mad storage and serial modes. The rear port is fast enough that the selection is shown with enough time to make the selection.

Also, there is s now a remote reboot into mass storage command that can be sent via proscan's direct command entry screen to accomplish the same thing.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
How practical would it be to get some "old" computers whose only function is to do the remote stuff. That way updates could be turned off because the computer's use is so limited. . .

ghg

Premium Subscriber
remote reboot into mass storage of 536 or SDS100

Also, there is s now a remote reboot into mass storage command that can be sent via proscan's direct command entry screen to accomplish the same thing.

Would you mind elaborating on this?
thanks.
--ghg

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
We have a large network of Proscan enabled Uniden scanners. We deal with your described issue using network enabled power strips. USB enabled power strips are asking for more trouble. The ones we use......
https://dlidirect.com/products/new-pro-switch

You have to forward another port from wan to lan, but setup is straight forward. TT

scosgt

SmartHome outlets work over wifi from anywhere. You need a router/access point, but outside of that, simple and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.