Remotely Access a Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDowson

Do any airband scanners (like the Uniden 15X) support a method of remotely accessing the scanner over an internet connection?
Im looking at putting the scanner and antenna in another house which is further away from a strong source of interference that’s near my house, and then if possible remotely access the scanner and listen via either the remote head or PC (or preferably Mac) software.

RDowson

Does ProScan require a Windows PC connected to the scanner as the server or can I use a Raspberry Pi, or is there even a scanner with Ethernet that I can use to bypass the need for a separate device/computer as a server?

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
SDS200 has Ethernet, and BCD536HP has WiFi. If you had a WAN with low enough latency I suppose you could forego the win pc on the same LAN as scanner. I’ve not heard of anyone doing this. A NUC would probably be simpler and cheaper.

Ubbe

Any radio that can be controlled from a RS232 port, or Icoms IC-V and some other brands, can be remotely controlled by RemoteRig. I don't have a Uniden remote head and have to use ARC15's virtual head on a Windows machine. I used to have a Icom PCR2500 connected and could then use its remote head without having any PC involved. When listening with a local scanner and comparing with the remote one it was just a small 100mS delay over internet.

It's an expensive device so probably not for everyone. But RemoteRig uses an extremely low network bandwidth so in some cases it might be the only solution.

Remoterig.com | Remoterig

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.