Remotely Disable Transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp196

Is it possible to program a radio so that one radio is able to "kill transmit" on any radio that is currently transmitting? I don't want to kill/stun/disable the radio, I just want to be able to cut in on anyone transmitting on the same frequency. I have a number of Motorola and Hytera radios that currently work with each other.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
When a radio is transmitting, it can't receive*, so there's no direct way to inhibit an active transmitter.
*full duplex radios excepted.

It may be possible to overpower an active transmission with a more powerful radio as FM exhibits a "capture" effect whereby the receiver captures the strongest signal. However, "strongest" is a relative thing and involves more than just transmitter power.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm sure disabling another amateur's radio would be against some sort of rule. I'm sure there's probably a dozen or so armchair lawyers who can find a relevant section of the regulations that deals with this type of issue.

jsp196

Thanks - I just have 30 people on radio, many of whom don't know how to keep transmissions concise, so usually by the end of the first sentence I know the answer to a question but have to listen to them talk for another 30 or 40 seconds before I can answer. Was hoping for a way to alleviate that, aside from training (since we have different people all the time).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Set the radio Time Out Timer to 10-15 seconds until they figure out how to be concise.

cmdrwill

Radio's Time Out Timer should be set for SIXTY seconds, normally. But jon's idea will help the poor operators figure out how to talk, learn how radios work.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks - I just have 30 people on radio, many of whom don't know how to keep transmissions concise, so usually by the end of the first sentence I know the answer to a question but have to listen to them talk for another 30 or 40 seconds before I can answer. Was hoping for a way to alleviate that, aside from training (since we have different people all the time).

Ah yes. I run a trunking system, and we've got a few very long winded people. Especially when talking to dispatch.

Time Out Timer adjustment would be a good option, but in the end this comes down to a training issue. I will add that trying to train people how to properly use a radio is similar to trying to herding cats. Chances are, 50% of the people will not pay attention.

If it's a repeated/trunking system, there are some options. But, if it's just a bunch of portable radios, there's not any good way to kill a radio while it's transmitting. Usually, that's not a good approach to dealing with the issue anyway.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Radio's Time Out Timer should be set for SIXTY seconds, normally. But jon's idea will help the poor operators figure out how to talk, learn how radios work.

In general, I agree. My suggestion was intended as a temporary training technique to force the long-winded folks to learn the value of brevity. Or as a permanent solution for people who refuse to shut up.

Perhaps you should have normal radios with a 60-second TOT for people who understand good radio etiquette, and for the rest, bright pink radios programmed with a 15-second TOT and a 5-second cooldown before they can transmit again if they hit the time limit (so you can get a word in edgewise). Once they get the point, they can turn in their "Barbie" radio and get a normal one with normal settings.

Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.