Remtronix 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

xusmarine1979

All, I hope everyone is staying healthy.

I currently listen to Ohio's MARCS which runs on 700/800 and use Remtronix's amazing SMA M antenna on the SDS100. But I'm just wondering if there may be an antenna out there that actually outperforms this one, like from Moto, or Icom. I'd prefer to stick with the SMA rather than BNC to avoid any adapters. Size and price don't really matter at this point.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Remtronix is probably the best to go for a 800Mhz system, I use one myself. I have often read that the Remtronix is a descendent of the Radio Shack 800Mhz Antenna that was only available in BNC, and when Radio Shack starting closing, many folks snapped up as many as they could and made some profits before Remtronix came around.

On the SDS100, you’ll have a hard time finding a off the shelf SMA antenna that will fit in the recess off the weatherproof collar. When the SDS100 came out, people remarked how their older Remtronix antennas (and many other SMAs) didn’t fit, but Remtronix actually listened and came out with the REM-810 that was turned to specifically fit the SDS100, and then followed by the REM-820S that also includes a rubber washer to improve water resistance.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My understanding is remtronix was started by an ex GRE employee. GRE originally made the antenna in BNC and rebranded it under the Radio Shack name. When RatShack went out of business I bought fistfuls of that antenna for $5 a piece LOL. Didn't sell them though.

Always a great performer on 7 - 800 megahertz and UHF. Not so much on VHF High.

It was smart of remtronix to make a version for the SMA 100 proprietary mount that offers water resistance.

I have tried BNC antennas on my apx and wasn't impressed and they didn't compare to the actual Motorola antennas... I had to get the adapter from Motorola and I don't remember seeing any Motorola to SMA adapters not to say there might not be one out there but... Would it fit the recessed SMA 100 connection?

It could be an interesting experiment but I would search the internet for that adapter if it exists. You're more likely to find Motorola to BNC, then you would have the adapter for BNC on the SDS. I agree all those adapters wouldn't be favorable.

xusmarine1979

Hey thanks for the response guys.

Yeah, I do love the Remtronix antenna that's for sure. I can't remember when I bought my first one when they first came out, and I'm really glad they made them to fit the 100's. I don't listen to much VHF unless it's during some wicked weather and I'm listening to MARCS plus the WXNET, but then I usually have to swap antennas.

I'm not bit on the adapters either and I'd hate to ruin a good antenna by modifying the connector to sma but just for an experiment I just may go that route. I remember my dad would always get upset because I'd constantly be modding stuff, but hey, that's how we learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.