Remtronix 820S Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpasq

I previously owned the BCD436HP and had the Remtronix 800 antenna, which performed far superior to the stock included antenna for local 800hz P25 reception. I now own the SDS100 and recently purchased the Remtronix 820S antenna, expecting a difference from the stock included antenna, specifically on local 800hz P25 reception as before, however, the stock antenna seems to perform equal if not even better at times. How could this be, as I always read it was a more general wide band reception antenna, and for 700/800hz, Remtronix & Radio Shack 800 antennas were far better, and I found that to be the case on prior units I owned(325p2, 396XT, 436HP & HP1), but not with the SDS 100. Could it be the quality of reception by the improved hardware of the SDS100 delivers the same for my local P25 reception?
I can say I notice a difference with the Remtronix 820S on a neighboring city Motorola Smartnet Analog 800hz reception, but not on my local P25. Any comments or educational replies welcomed.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Recommendation:
Put the radio on the control channel of the system in question.
(Press channel soft key - enter the freq, press the same soft key.)
You may want to turn the volume down first because you are going to get un-squelched data

Note the signal strength with both stock and 820S.
(Just swap antennas, but keep radio in exact same position/location.)
Is there a significant difference?

vpasq

Thanks for that! I tried it and it showed me that the Remtronix is showing a lower RSSI (by 10) which as I understand it if the RSSI is lower the signal is stronger, so I will stick with that!

Jimco

Thanks for that! I tried it and it showed me that the Remtronix is showing a lower RSSI (by 10) which as I understand it if the RSSI is lower the signal is stronger, so I will stick with that!

Actually, a higher RSSI indicates a better signal. RSSI will range from 0 to -120 dBm. In my experience, if the SDS100 gets down to -100 dBm or lower, you will notice poor reception.

Jim

vpasq

Wow, now that means the stock antenna is doing a better job than the Remtronix! Blows my mind, but time to swap them again. Thanks Jim for clarifying that for me.

Jimco

Wow, now that means the stock antenna is doing a better job than the Remtronix! Blows my mind, but time to swap them again. Thanks Jim for clarifying that for me.

Just keep in mind that RSSI is expressed in negative numbers. Therefore, -100 is a lower signal than -60. With the stock antenna, I get an RSSI that hovers around -101 on the main system I monitor. With the 820s, I get an RSSI of around -75 and sometimes even better. That's a huge difference.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
I am alittle confused for clarification, with the 820 you get RSSI of about -75 so the 820 antenna is out performing the stock antenna for the main system you monitor. Correct?

vpasq

So here I go again, back to the Remtronix 820s because the numbers were negative and the Remtronix does show a higher NEGATIVE number. I learn every day on here. Thanks again Jim.

Jimco

I am alittle confused for clarification, with the 820 you get RSSI of about -75 so the 820 antenna is out performing the stock antenna for the main system you monitor. Correct?

Yes. A signal of -75 dBm is pretty good. If it gets as low as -100 dBm, I start to hear the transmissions break up.

vpasq

Yes that is correct, with the Remtronix 820s I get a signal of -75 to -78, and with the stock antenna, I get a signal of -82 to -85. As such, I have put the Remtronix 820s back on the scanner. Thanks so much for all your clarification and the education Jim...

mrkelso

So here I go again, back to the Remtronix 820s because the numbers were negative and the Remtronix does show a higher NEGATIVE number. I learn every day on here. Thanks again Jim.
Check the center pin on the antenna, I have one that won't pick up anything. after examination with a good quality magnifier glass i determined that the center pin was to short to make a good connection with the female hole on the radio.The base of the antenna stops it from going in.

racing1

I leave my sds100 plugged in and scanning for a prolonged period of time and. I noticed the metal part that screws into the antenna port of the radio gets really warm. Does anyone else have this is issue and will this have a negative impact on the radio itself?

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
I leave my sds100 plugged in and scanning for a prolonged period of time and. I noticed the metal part that screws into the antenna port of the radio gets really warm. Does anyone else have this is issue and will this have a negative impact on the radio itself?

A electronic device getting a little warm is normal.
I had my SDS100 for 7 months haven’t turned it off since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimco

Yes. Mine gets up to 101 degrees. I checked it with a thermometer. :)

Jimco

The stock antenna doesnt even get slightly warm compared to the 820S. Wonder why?

I'm not sure, but I suspect that the exposed metal on the 820s just makes it more obvious. 101 degrees seems like a high temp, but when you feel it, it's not really that hot. I will note that even when it's not plugged in, the SDS100 generates heat in this area, so I suspect that it's probably related to a chip in that area that's processing data. It might be interesting to see if it generates more heat when monitoring certain types of systems. I am exclusively monitoring a P25 system.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Because rubber dissapates heat quicker than metal.
Im pretty sure thats backwards.
Metal is a good conductor, Rubber is a good insulator.
So metal should dissipate heat better as its a better heat and electrical conductor. Rubber is a better insulator so it will now allow the heat to dissipate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.