Reno/Sparks in 2 banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadd

Premium Subscriber
I would like to put Reno PD and Sparks PD in separate banks, but using the ARC300 software when I load Sparks I get nothing, loading Reno I get both...do they share the same Frequencies or am I doing something wrong?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Washoe County trunked system

You can do it, but usually not without "penalties".

First of all, to "limit" what you're receiving in either bank, you need to set the bank to CLOSED. When open, it will pick up all TGs on the programmed system, not just the TGs programmed & enabled.

The way that the bank-oriented scanners are designed, you should put Reno and Sparks in the SAME bank, and use "sub-groups" to control them. I know it is not as nice as being able to disable one or the other with a single key stroke, but that's the design.

Now if you only listen to ONE agency at a time (so you've only got the same system enabled in one bank at a time), there are no issues. But if you scan the SAME system in two separate banks at the same time, you WILL miss calls.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
I don't know your particular radio or software, but if it's traditional bank and channel setup, you should be able to; each bank will have the same trunk system programmed and you would just have different talkgroups in each bank - one banks for Sparks, one for Reno.

The radio and the programming software should not care that you are programming the system twice.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
How to manage TGs on the same system

I don't know your particular radio or software, but if it's traditional bank and channel setup, you should be able to; each bank will have the same trunk system programmed and you would just have different talkgroups in each bank - one banks for Sparks, one for Reno.
When you do this, what happens is you miss calls. While in the first bank (let's say Reno) and a call comes in for Sparks, it is ignored. Then the scanner advances to the next bank and a call comes in for Reno and it is ignored.

When you scan the system from one bank, the scanner will switch to the voice channel of any TG programmed and enabled for the system. If you want to turn off certain TGs, use individual lock outs and/or turn on/off sub-groups.

For example; I have sub-groups set up as follows for one system here:
0 - Sacramento city PD
1 - other cities in the county (CH, WS, EG)
2 - Sacramento county sheriff
3 - all the misc TGs I rarely disable (detectives, investigate, sp ops)
4 - all fire TGs

jadd

Premium Subscriber
lets see if I get this... load reno and sparks in banks 0 and 1... in bank 0 lock out sparks talkgroups, so I only hear Reno, in bank 1 lock out Reno so only Sparks is heard? My radio in a Pro164 BTW...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Trunking systems on bank oriented scanners

lets see if I get this... load reno and sparks in banks 0 and 1... in bank 0 lock out sparks talkgroups, so I only hear Reno, in bank 1 lock out Reno so only Sparks is heard? My radio in a Pro164 BTW...
That would not be my approach.

Pick a bank, let's say 0. Program all of the EDACS frequencies. In sub-bank 0 of bank 0 program the Reno PD TGs. In sub-bank 1 (etc) of bank 0 program the Sparks PD TGs.

jadd

Premium Subscriber
yeah that didnt work haha

... and i dont know how sub banks work... my sister works at radio shack and i bought this scanner with her discount... she says no one likes selling scanners, no RS out here will program one, but i did buy the 164 and the data cable for 100 bucks! she said cost was only $67!! retail sucks! Anyways, I dont expect you to tell me how sub groups work... unless you want to :) but seriously thanks for the reply's!

pinoy1042

if you would like to meet up, or need help send me a pm with phone number i will call you.

i have mine set up as sparks pd in bank o, Reno in 1, washoe in 2 wcspd in 3, nhp in 4, also you got to remember that like the other gentleman said is close your banks, and also there is ps share frequency also they share with each other agency.

jadd

Premium Subscriber
So what I have now and it seams to work ok... Bank 0 is a mess of damn near everything, I keep it off most of the time. Bank 1 Is supposed to be only RPD and fire, 2 is Sparks PD and Fire, 3 is Conventional EMT, 4 is everything at the airport. 5 is supposed to Nevada Emergency Management, Sheriff, basically an all hells breaking loose bank. haha
Using the software and i compare the banks, 0,1,2,and 5 all have the same frequencies, 1,2, and 5 all have different talk groups. I mostly only scan bank 2 Sparks... but I have noticed when all banks but 2 are blocked out, I still hear Reno and vise versa... I get that they share frequencies, but shouldnt the talk groups stop me from hearing Reno on Sparks Bank? and 5 sounds like 1

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Remember that if you want a bank to only hear the TGs programmed in that bank you must set it to CLOSED.

mibzzer15

Holy crap TY for posting this thread. I never new my PSR-300 had sub banks till I read this. Ive used ARC300 for my PSR300 for a while and never new that LOL! Thanks again. Makes alot of sense now.

SCPD

QRT
I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is here. I have a PSR-600 and I can assign talkgroups in multiple banks (GRE calls these lists). For Reno and Sparks I have Reno in one bank and Sparks in another. When I want to listen to both I have both banks enabled and when I want Sparks only I hit the bank number for Reno and leave the Sparks bank enabled. You can assign many banks to one EDACS site. You can't assign multiple EDACS sites to one scan list. If you want to use multiple sites for one radio system, you have to duplicate the talkgroups and assign them to another bank or banks.

I don't have sub banks. I use Starrsoft software and find it is worth the price. Don Starr wrote the fimware for GRE. With that connection the result is very good software. I tried some freebie and low cost software about 12 years ago and found them difficult to use. I've been using the Starrsoft products ever since.

I guess the model of radio makes a big difference on how a EDACS system can be programmed. Maybe that is why I'm having trouble understanding much of what is being said on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.