Reorganization of a county

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksroberson

I would like to see a change in the layout of information for our county's info.
Bay Co FL
Schools Info takes up most of the page, I would appreciate it if it was under other agencies, maybe even in the EXISTING education sub-group? I have the latest, updated info for the entire school systems radios (Official Codeplug) but would like to see a format change before I submit it.
Also, I have noticed, not all information that is submitted is added, not sure if that is a safety thing of if admins don't feel like adding it.

Any information would be appreciated, I'm not hating, just sharing some ideas/experiences.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Initiate a database submission including your ideas for reorganization. That will put your request in front of the database admins for Florida and they can decide how to proceed.

marksroberson

@marksroberson
I am surprised at your reluctance to submit. Most submitters are proud to see their information in the database and enjoy sharing with others.
I love sharing information out about our communities, but ever since I started noticing that some information that was submitted was overlooked or simply not added, I became saddened, because while the scanning hobby might be going away slowly with encryption and big trunked systems, good information that I have submitted on simple analog conventional frequencies have simply been overlooked I suppose. And I know that these frequencies are being used, because I work for the local radio shop that maintains the repeater! I have the code plugs! But to see it not go into an update has discouraged me from submitting more info, I have lots to share, but am afraid I am wasting my time if they are not included.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do you have any specific examples of info you submitted that was overlooked or ignored? Looking at your submission history, I see 20 submissions processed in 2021 with only one rejected, which was at your own request.

If we're having a honest, open dialog here regarding submissions, I must point out that some of the data you've recently submitted is extremely vague. In some cases you've submitted multiple simplex frequencies with only a PL/DPL, but no actual description of what each channel is for. Many admins would challenge data like that as being incomplete, and rightly so. Frankly, I'm surprised that so much of what you've submitted has made it into the database without a lot of scrutiny.

I would suggest reading over the guidelines the database admins follow as pertains to the inclusion/exclusion of data, which can all be found in the official Database Administrator Handbook in the wiki.

Pay particular attention to sections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 (included and excluded data), as well as 6.2.3, which states that school (including universities and colleges) are to be listed on the main county page.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have the latest, updated info for the entire school systems radios (Official Codeplug) but would like to see a format change before I submit it.

Sounds like you are trying to hold the database hostage, make changes or I won't play ball with you. Really a childish way to look at it. Additionally, if there are other listeners in your county that care about what they are hearing, someone will figure it out and submit it. The layout of most county database listings I've seen make perfect sense, but perhaps you are too lazy to scroll down and find the info below what's on top. Lastly, while you may work in the radio shop that maintain the repeater are you authorized to release their frequency information? Most radio shops I've had dealings with discourage or prohibit the release of the information. Just asking!

marksroberson

Sounds like you are trying to hold the database hostage, make changes or I won't play ball with you. Really a childish way to look at it. Additionally, if there are other listeners in your county that care about what they are hearing, someone will figure it out and submit it. The layout of most county database listings I've seen make perfect sense, but perhaps you are too lazy to scroll down and find the info below what's on top. Lastly, while you may work in the radio shop that maintain the repeater are you authorized to release their frequency information? Most radio shops I've had dealings with discourage or prohibit the release of the information. Just asking!

Do you have any specific examples of info you submitted that was overlooked or ignored? Looking at your submission history, I see 20 submissions processed in 2021 with only one rejected, which was at your own request.

If we're having a honest, open dialog here regarding submissions, I must point out that some of the data you've recently submitted is extremely vague. In some cases you've submitted multiple simplex frequencies with only a PL/DPL, but no actual description of what each channel is for. Many admins would challenge data like that as being incomplete, and rightly so. Frankly, I'm surprised that so much of what you've submitted has made it into the database without a lot of scrutiny.

I would suggest reading over the guidelines the database admins follow as pertains to the inclusion/exclusion of data, which can all be found in the official Database Administrator Handbook in the wiki.

Pay particular attention to sections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 (included and excluded data), as well as 6.2.3, which states that school (including universities and colleges) are to be listed on the main county page.

I am not trying to hold the database hostage, I am just trying to make sure that all the info I submit is worth my time to submit, not trying to sound bad, but it has happened to me, as listed.
Many customers use dual capacity direct or simple business frequencies and are simply using channel 1 as main ops, I list channels as they are programmed in the radios.
Everything that is listed on FCC database regarding businesses and organizations is fair game according to the boss. I am not trying to cause a fuss, I also enjoy sharing info, that's why I do it. All I was interested in was how a county could be re-organized. our school district has 100+ channels, and I would be interested in collapsible sub-groups or something of another nature, I'm not that lazy, but thanks for assuming.
I looked at the handbook and did see the example of Harris county and saw that schools go in the main page.
Every DMR frequency I submit, I include the TG, TS, and CC. I cannot say that everyone submits that into the DB. Looking at Bay Co FL, there are 11 frequencies missing the Slot or Talk group, not going to work well in some scanners.

This was one of my submissions, minus the info that actually went through. Submission 234174
This information was pulled from a working radio.

SO Private 465.6 pl 186.2 465.6 Not Added
Graceville PD 460.125 pl 179.9 465.1 Not added
Health Dpt. 463.1875 pl 167.9 468.1875 Not added
Vernon MS 464.5 pl 103.5 464.5 Not added

But otherwise, when I will get a chance I will submit the school data, So all can listen.
I apologize for not looking at the Database Administrator Handbook Live Version, but since I am not a database admin, I don't think I have ever looked at it. And yes, I am prepared for the next comments about my submission saying "well, they aren't listed licensed" well, They are confirmed used, in a working radio, and were established long before I was working for a radio shop. And I know of many listings that are not licensed in the DB. Not sure what to tell you.

again, I am not trying to cause a fuss, or be called lazy, childish, or assumed to be taking info hostage.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Pretty decent info but as an admin, the questions I would be asking are:

1. On Graceville PD: shouldn't the input be 465.125? Also, what is the frequency used for, dispatch, car to car, records?
2. Whose Health Department? County? City?
3. Vernon, MS what? City services? Local Business? School district?

Flesh out some of the detail and you'll probably get them added.

marksroberson

So I'm confused. You say you work at a radio shop and program radios with unlicensed frequencies ? It would baffle my mind that a reputable radio shop would do this.

I am actually pretty sure they are licensed, it’s just that I can’t find them on the RR license search. They were programmed long before I was an employee. I can guarantee you that everything we do here is licensed. But remember, We may not even manage that repeater but the customer still wanted it in their radios.

Pretty decent info but as an admin, the questions I would be asking are:

1. On Graceville PD: shouldn't the input be 465.125? Also, what is the frequency used for, dispatch, car to car, records?
2. Whose Health Department? County? City?
3. Vernon, MS what? City services? Local Business? School district?

Flesh out some of the detail and you'll probably get them added.

I believe the graceville input is just a typo. It was the county health department (it’s such a small county all of this information was pulled from one radio so interop is pretty basic as it is just switching over to the other agencies frequency ie: graceville) and I am not sure about Vernon, I do agree with you, but that’s all the information I have on it right now, just a channel name.
I understand the confusion on my end, I should be tagging things better, but at the same time, I only have limited info. Some info is better than none.
I apologize for asking any questions, I should have done my research. Thanks to those who actually contributed good information.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
This was one of my submissions, minus the info that actually went through. Submission 234174
This information was pulled from a working radio.

For the record, I processed this submission. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I am working on 3 things at once (including my actual day job) --- and I miss things. When you see information that got put in incorrectly or missed entirely, just push out another submission and we will address it.... keep in mind, the RR dB admins are just volunteers!

doug

marksroberson

For the record, I processed this submission. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I am working on 3 things at once (including my actual day job) --- and I miss things. When you see information that got put in incorrectly or missed entirely, just push out another submission and we will address it.... keep in mind, the RR dB admins are just volunteers!

doug

I appreciate all that keep this site running, from admins who process the data to users who submit the data to the owners who keep it available for us.
I am not complaining in any way, I was just wondering about DB organization, and that has been answered, and submission info, and that has been answered. I appreciate everything y’all do, and I am not trying to single anyone out.
Thanks to those who actually contributed good information and helped me with my questions in this civil discussion.
Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.