Repair for Yaesu FRG9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

I have a Yaesu FRG9600 (60-905 Mhz) that used to work. It was a good radio. It does not work now. Yaesu does not service them anymore.

Does anyone please know of a place, or person, to get it repaired?

Thanks, Bob.

BobFam

Powers up OK. No signal strength bars and no audio. Squelch does not work.

The frequency selector knob works and I can set the frequencies as shown on the working display. Bob.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I would like to think something simple like a dried out electrolytic capacitor in the power supply section but it's really hard to say.
It's been years since I've been inside a 9600.

I see many people mention G & G for repairs of older equipment. Most that have used them have always had good things to say. I've never used them myself but it may be an option for you if you can't find anyone in your area to take a look.
I'd also contact Gerry at the number on the site before sending to him.

Good Luck!

BobFam

I would like to think something simple like a dried out electrolytic capacitor in the power supply section but it's really hard to say.
It's been years since I've been inside a 9600.

I see many people mention G & G for repairs of older equipment. Most that have used them have always had good things to say. I've never used them myself but it may be an option for you if you can't find anyone in your area to take a look.
I'd also contact Gerry at the number on the site before sending to him.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll contact Gerry on Friday. Bob.

majoco

Stirrer
You said that there was no audio - so how do you know the squelch doesn't work?
No signal strength bars? Is there a signal? If you can enter frequencies, can you make it scan - can you see the frequencies changing? Does it stop on a known frequency that has traffic on it?

BobFam

Thanks. I manualy set the frequency to 162.55 MHz - NOAA Weather Radio - Los Angeles which is a very strong signal at my location. There were no signal bars showing at all and no audio. You are right I cannot say the squelch is not working. I did not check to see if it would scan. I'll try that. Bob.

BobFam

I had been using a rubber duckie antenna to check it before. I attached a mobile antenna to it and it does scan and stop on stations. I retried 162.55 and it shows good signal strength but no audio on the speaker or the headset. It works OK on LAPD channels but no audio. Sorry about my previous info. Regards, Bob.

BobFam

Thanks. No I have not tried an external speaker. I have the service manual and am trying to repair it myself. It might be in the earphone jack switch contacts. The earphone jack seems tight. The speaker works OK by itself. I'll continue working on it. Regards, Bob.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
I have a Yaesu FRG9600 (60-905 Mhz) that used to work. It was a good radio. It does not work now. Yaesu does not service them anymore.

Does anyone please know of a place, or person, to get it repaired?

Thanks, Bob.
You might try Universal Radio Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942 that sells quite a bit of used equipment. I know they used to have a quite healthy repair shop, but I haven't kept up with Fred Osterman in some time. HTH.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, the FRG-9600 used card edge type sockets on the main board. Some of the cards plugged into these sockets much like the old ISA bus connectors used on older PC motherboards.
I recall one of those sockets in my 9600 was mechanically cracked so it would not maintain a connection with the board that plugged into it.
I vaguely remember using an epoxy to hold the connector together and needing to wrap the connector body with wire very tight until the epoxy cured 24 hours or so later. If this was my 9600 I recall this repair, I remember it being one of the more difficult repairs I'd made in my time and said I'd never attempt it again!

The repair did work apparently as my FRG-9600 still chugs along just fine to this day. Like I'd said before, it's been ages since I've been inside my 9600 so it could have been another radio that had the broken card edge connector socket but I'm pretty sure it was the 9600.

Anyone know of a good and clear copy of the service manual for this radio?
My copy is very poor now that I look at it so it's a wonder I was ever able to work on mine.

edit: After some searching, I find most of the SMs online are all of the same poor quality and a scan from the same source.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have since decided that it is not economical to repair the FRG-9600. Please close this thread. Bob.

Curious as to what you did or did not find that made you give up?
These were pretty neat old radios for their day. I always wished they did below 60 MHz however.
I'd think it is worth spending more time on troubleshooting if that time is available. I loved working on these old sets but my eyesight is nowhere near what it was before so troubleshooting can prove to be a real chore today. I still do it though, even with modern surface mount designs!

BobFam

If I remember correctly, the FRG-9600 used card edge type sockets on the main board. Some of the cards plugged into these sockets much like the old ISA bus connectors used on older PC motherboards.
I recall one of those sockets in my 9600 was mechanically cracked so it would not maintain a connection with the board that plugged into it.
I vaguely remember using an epoxy to hold the connector together and needing to wrap the connector body with wire very tight until the epoxy cured 24 hours or so later. If this was my 9600 I recall this repair, I remember it being one of the more difficult repairs I'd made in my time and said I'd never attempt it again!

The repair did work apparently as my FRG-9600 still chugs along just fine to this day. Like I'd said before, it's been ages since I've been inside my 9600 so it could have been another radio that had the broken card edge connector socket but I'm pretty sure it was the 9600.

Anyone know of a good and clear copy of the service manual for this radio?
My copy is very poor now that I look at it so it's a wonder I was ever able to work on mine.

edit: After some searching, I find most of the SMs online are all of the same poor quality and a scan from the same source.
Thanks. There is no better clearer service manual available as far as I can find, It must be in one of the circuit components. I checked all obvious bulged caps, evidence of overheating of any components, loose connections, etc. I have given up, Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.