Repair in Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Is there any radio repair facility in Connecticut that could replace the micro usb port in my SDS 200? The warranty has expired and with the current turnover delays I don't want to send it to Uniden. The port has been touchy for a while and last week it finally just stopped working even with my trying several patch cords. In the meantime, I am using FTP with Proscan but eventually I'm going to have to use Sentinel using the usb port.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
are you any good at soldering? I found some micro usb ports on amazon, IF you can solder, you may be able to do it at home, or maybe have a friend who could

thom

Premium Subscriber
are you any good at soldering? I found some micro usb ports on amazon, IF you can solder, you may be able to do it at home, or maybe have a friend who could
I had thought of doing it myself but then thought maybe someone with a bit more experience would be better. I thought I'd remove the cover and see if it's accessible.

cg

Premium Subscriber
You don't need a radio repair facility so try a broader search. I did a quick google search for component level repair in CT and here is one of them:
You might find a similar place closer. Also, if you are comfortable with disassembly/reassembly, it would be cheaper I'm sure.

chris

thom

Premium Subscriber
You don't need a radio repair facility so try a broader search. I did a quick google search for component level repair in CT and here is one of them:
You might find a similar place closer. Also, if you are comfortable with disassembly/reassembly, it would be cheaper I'm sure.

chris
Thanks, but I just pulled the cover off and to get to it would need getting under a small circuit board of which I'm no going to attempt. I'm living without it a while. I'll only need it if there is ever a firmware upgrade. When things get back to normal I'll probably send it to Uniden.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Stupid question but did you try whacking the USB port with DeOxIt to make sure it's just not corrosion?

thom

Premium Subscriber
Stupid question but did you try whacking the USB port with DeOxIt to make sure it's just not corrosion?
Just tried it-- nope, didn't work. Thanks anyway. I have had success with other things using another method. I put non working items on a "naughty" shelf in my garage for a few days. It has worked in the past. It's worked with computers and a Sony soundbar. My wife just suggested that. Maybe she's on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.