• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater Antenna HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQOC472

Hello,

I have a problem... I have a Motorola GR1225 UHF Repeater that i use for GMRS communications. I have the repeater connected to a Tram BR-6155 Repeater antenna, between the repeater and antenna i have Andrew LDF4-50A 1/2" Hardline. The antenna is located on top a 30 foot tall building.

On recent evening i was attempting to key up on the repeater (I was about 3 miles away, up until that time i had no issue getting 7+ miles of repeater coverage) I went to the repeater location and tried keying up again and i wasn't able to hit the repeater until i got right under the antenna, even then there was a lot of static. I thought the Power Amp on the repeater went out so i replaced the repeater with a smaller backup repeater, to use until the i could get the GR1225 fixed. When i hooked up the back up repeater i had the same problem, no power output, i was standing about 100 yards from the antenna.

So... i have came to the understanding that the antenna is broken and the repeaters are just fine. What is the best thing to do? Just replace the antenna? I'm almost certain the coax is fine, i just installed it about 2 months ago. I have had the antenna in use since March of this year.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreicated!!!

Thanks,

EC-7

You need to check a few things BEFORE you use the new repeater.
Check the jumpers to the duplexer for shorts or bad / loose connections.
Check the hardline for shorts / loose connections.
A simple multimeter can do this. A SWR meter will help after that.
You can use a simple antenna, even a mobile antenna to test. Try using a separate antenna on the RX and TX side.

If you have a short somewhere in the coax or antenna, you could blow an expensive Transmitter or Amp.

prcguy

With a watt meter and load you can check power at the output of the transmitter, the duplexer and finally at the end of the hardline at the antenna.

With known expected loss for the duplexer and hardline run you can not only isolate the main problem but discover other subtle problems you didn't know existed.
prcguy

WA4VBC

As already suggested, use a watt meter and a dummy load to check the power output of the repeater and then check it at the last point before the coax to the antenna. If all is well, then use an antenna analyzer to determine if the coax is bad or if the antenna bad. If no analyzer is available, you may have to move the dummy load to the base of the antenna to isolate the problem. I would also use the watt meter and dummy load on the GR1225 to determine if it is OK. KAE5442

Status
Not open for further replies.