Repeater directory & scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0YKO

Anyone ever load the repeater directory & location into a GPS capable scanner and use while traveling the country? This seems like a handy way to know active repeaters for a new area as you travel.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
...a handy way to know potentially active repeaters...

One must always consider a listed repeater may be offline temporarily or permanently.

KC0YKO

yes, a challenge with any "list" is obsolete data...the scanner "hit" would let you know what is active so you could load it into your comms rig. I may give this a try

KE0GXN

I wish one of the “big three“ would make a VHF/UHF transceiver that would GPS scan repeaters as you travel like a lot of the current scanners do. Kind of wondering why any of them have not capitalized on that technology yet? Both my my VHF/UHF mobile radios already have the GPS in them. What more would it take to contract with this place or RepeaterBook to download all the known repeaters into nationwide database just like like my HP-2 can and then enable a GPS based scanning option in the transceiver? :unsure:

KC0YKO

I believe that the Icom ID-5100 gets close to doing this. You load an SD card with the repeater file and the radio will list the closest repeaters based on the internal GPS. I am not certain if it only works with digital repeaters or both digital & analog. I have also loaded a repeater file into my GPS as POI and it was helpful but did not indicate if they were "active" I have an extra 996T that I am going to try this gps idea with. I travel a lot and this may keep me from loading repeaters into my 2-way that are no longer on the air

KE0GXN

I own a ID-5100. It is installed in my truck. What you describe only works with D-Star repeaters. Comes in very handy while traveling and being able to find and select D-Star repeaters to QSO on. That capability is not available on the analog side.

Status
Not open for further replies.