Repeater DO's and DON'Ts courtesy of K4BBL

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
A local ham created this very informative video. The only thing I would add/emphasize is that amateur radio repeaters, while most are open for general amateur use, are in fact, private property of others. The owners may be a club, organization, government entity, or private individuals. In all cases, it's best to remember to be mindful of this and operate with RESPECT as one should when in the house, business or premises of another. The rest of the video is great advice to all amateurs new and veterans:

romanr

My pet peeve is when someone keys up and says simply " WX5ABC listening" or "N9DEF monitoring".
Many (most?) areas have multiple repeaters and few operators are just sitting watching their screen to see which repeater/frequency pops up when their radio briefly stops scanning.

If you said "WX5ABC listening on the Gainsville repeater", or "N9DEF monitoring 147.255", they other operators that might be driving or working on something else know *where* you're listening/monitoring. Try it; you might find it results in better response as more of your potential contacts will know what channel to use to reply.

WB9YBM

My pet peeve is when someone keys up and says simply " WX5ABC listening" or "N9DEF monitoring".
Many (most?) areas have multiple repeaters and few operators are just sitting watching their screen to see which repeater/frequency pops up when their radio briefly stops scanning.

Here in the northern Illinois / southern Wisconsin it's even worse: I just hear people toss their call out, and that's it--both with, and without there being activity on the repeater. Sometimes I'll indulge in a bit of good-natured teasing to the effect of the following exchange: "W9AAA." [pause] "What about W9AAA? from W9BBB." It's just common courtesy to let people know what it is you want; after all, if it's an emergency we'd like to know if we have to panic (or just let someone in to pass traffic), or if the person checking in just wants to join the conversation.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I’m a recent Technician, and found this very helpful. I hear a lot of kerchunking on local repeaters. It is annoying. Anyway, bookmarked this thread for rewatching. Good job, Sir.