Repeater logging program

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
is there software out there that I can monitor my local 2 meter repeater for usage statistics. What I am looking for is something to monitor the repeater and any conversation that last more than 2 minutes to log it and the duration so I can help the local club show that it is a vital resource and we need to keep it on the air.

a417

record the repeater TX output in mp3 into a computer folder, and then windows will automatically tell you the length of the mp3 recording...so it's a poor man's way of tracking activity.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not sure you want to record all of the silence. There used to be a program called Scanner Recorder that had a pretty good silence detector and it would only record when there was audio coming from the receiver. But, the author seems to have abandoned it.

But, you could set up a computer to record a day's worth of audio and then use Audacity to delete the silent parts. The resulting file would give you an idea how much the repeater is used.

a417

if the program he used logged transmissions as separate files, he wouldn't have to open Audacity at all to edit. He could just open up a Explorer folder view, and then sort by length of the file.

Chronic

TRX scanners will record and i believe each transmission is a seperate file

W0JJK

I use freescan with a Uniden to record. It stores the files with freq and time. If you select the right options it put the files in day folders. You have to use certain type of Uniden models but I think the 15X is supported.

n5ims

Another option might be to put up a feed on Broadcastify for your repeater and use their services to show how much use it gets.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies. Recording the audio would work but I was trying to avoid all the times throughout the day when the repeater identifies and any quick convo "hey honey I'm heading home" which is why I said greater than 2 minutes. I was hoping there was something such as rtl dongle connected to raspberry pi that could create a spread sheet. I will look at the record/logging option for now.

a417

Thanks for the replies. Recording the audio would work but I was trying to avoid all the times throughout the day when the repeater identifies and any quick convo "hey honey I'm heading home" which is why I said greater than 2 minutes. I was hoping there was something such as rtl dongle connected to raspberry pi that could create a spread sheet. I will look at the record/logging option for now.
a rtl dongle connected to any computer that can record and save the transmissions in separate files, and then viewing the subsequent folder sorted by duration will give you almost exactly what you want.

You can start in descending view mode and you will see the longest conversations first. The "Hey honey i'm heading home" transmissions will be at the bottom, and once you figure out what file size correlates with transmission duration, you can simply count the number of transmissions that exceed your threshold and go from there.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I guess gone are the days of the Viking recorder for your radios. Remember those? Built like a tank and had a considerable footprint on your desk. I still have mine somewhere in a box back in the barn, i.e., the radio graveyard.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber

It saves each transmission as a file.. It works great for your issue

Status
Not open for further replies.