Repeater Operation and Linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamo5000

I am wondering if anyone can give me a brief overview of repeater operation, and most specifically the linking of repeaters.

I have been assigned by my radio club to study out linking the numerous repeaters in our area so we have a linked repeater system.

There are repeaters all over the place (dozens of them) and several are owned and operated by the club itself....others we need to talk to owners and such (possibly)

I know you can do it over the internet, but I am looking PRIMARILY at doing it over the AIR so we are not infrastructure dependent should a natural disaster come.

Maybe in the end we will have 5 to 10 repeaters all linked and all with backup power covering our county and possibly a couple of neighboring counties (eventually we will get to that at some point hopefully).

The area we are talking about covering isn't really all that huge, but its big enough to where we would need to link repeaters to have coverage.

Also we are hoping to increase day to day chatter because mostly everyone is disjointed in when and where they try to talk so it results in lots and lots of nothingness. We have more radio silence than you can shake a stick at.

Well I am in charge of the project so I wanted to ask for input and maybe have a point of reference where I can run to when I have questions.

By the way, I am a new ham... maybe 6 or 7 months already? I have no idea why I am nominated (other than the fact that I came up with idea).

LtDoc

I think you have your work cut out for you! '5Y's link is a very good basic one, from there talking to a couple of link maintainers is a good idea. The local club is a participant in such a linked system, and just from the slight experience I've had with it, it can get complicated and expensive very quickly. A LOT of pre-planning is never wasted time!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

blue5011

By the way, I am a new ham... maybe 6 or 7 months already? I have no idea why I am nominated (other than the fact that I came up with idea).

Reminds me of the time when I was "nominated" and subsequently voted in as President of the local ham club, as a newbie... The "Elders" just wanted to sit back and run things from the backfield.

When we discussed linking our two repeaters, we planned on using 440mhz to link, but others use 220mhz. All the repeater controllers need to be able to support such ventures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.