Repeater Question (schools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Hi all-

I am new to scanning and amateur radio in general and I had a couple questions regarding repeaters.

I have browsed the FCC records, and determined the frequencies my school uses.

I programmed them all into my scanner, and the only one I have heard anything on is: 463.9125
I have determined that this is the repeater output.

I am looking for the repeater input frequency. The other frequencies my school uses (based on FCC records) are:

152.9375 (probably not repeater input because it is VHF, others are UHF)

How can I determine which one is repeater input? Also, is there some way to find out what PL they use?
I can provide a link to the FCC records if needed.....

Thanks so much!

Big_Ears

Regarding the 460 mHz band, the input frequency is usually +5 mHz. If the repeater out freq is 463.7625 then the input should be 468.7625 mHz. Even with the re-banding issues, I believe it still holds true.

twexzer

Premium Subscriber
Regarding the 460 mHz band, the input frequency is usually +5 mHz. If the repeater out freq is 463.7625 then the input should be 468.7625 mHz. Even with the re-banding issues, I believe it still holds true.

Is there anyway I could test that with my HAM? I would need to know the PL, correct?

kc4jgc

Would they need to be lisenced for the input frequency though?

Yes.

Is there anyway I could test that with my HAM? I would need to know the PL, correct?

+ 5MHz is the standard. Unless you're wanting to add PL for interference mitigation, no need to worry about PL. Are you trying to transmit with your amateur HT on a local government freq? Not advisable.

DickH

Re-banding is only the 800MHz freqs. NARROW-banding affects VHF & UHF freqs.

SCPD

QRT
Ham license = Ham frequencies,a ham license does not give you privileges on any non-ham band,I do not know for the life of me why ham operators think they are allowed to transmit everywhere...

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber

You would also need bail money and/or someone to put money into your jailhouse account so you could buy snacks and such for your jail stay.

If you passed the ham test then you know you are ONLY allowed to transmit in the ham bands and interference or using a private repeater is against the law.

SCPD

QRT
PL/DPL search

Yes, if you have a ham radio capable of recieving the frequencies you are interested in, you should be able to program your ham radio to search for pl and dpl tones and codes. If you have a newer scanner, many of them can also do the same search. Also, the school system may not be using a repeater. Do all the users have a good signal on your monitor, or are some transmissions weak, while others are stronger?

ecps92

VHF/UHF is Narrowbanding not Re-Banding.
Re-Banding applys only to the 800 Mhz slide down -15 Mhz due to Nextel/Sprint agreements.

The input Off-set in PART 90 licenses is not changing

hfxChris

Database Admin
You would also need bail money and/or someone to put money into your jailhouse account so you could buy snacks and such for your jail stay.
Quickly keying up a repeater input to see if the repeater responds, while definitely not allowed, is not going to get you in jail.

GSPD

Programming unauthorized input frequency=unauthorized test=temptation=Trouble!

Skooter92

Premium Subscriber
Well....

Programming it in, just to "test the repeater", is not the right thing to do, whether detectable or not. Amateur radio operators are supposed to hold themselves to standards of legal and professional conduct. I got my ticket with the full knowledge that I would be accountable, whether legally or morally, for my conduct as an station operator. Just because he can, and probably won't get caught, doesn't make it the kind of behavior that should be encouraged. And for someone associated as an authority figure with this board to appear to condone it (whether you meant to or not), is probably not the message we should send to those asking for guidance on making these kind of decisions. Not a rant, and not pointing fingers at anyone, but can we do better as advisors/mentors/subject matter experts in what and how we suggest courses of action?

ecps92

All depends on who is watching, monitoring and what was keyed up on. Might not be Jail, but a Criminal Summons will likely occur.

Licensed Operators should know better, unfortunately the "Memorize" the exam process doesn't allow for folks to Comprehend

Just as bad as Amatuer Radios going out of band.:evil:

Quickly keying up a repeater input to see if the repeater responds, while definitely not allowed, is not going to get you in jail.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
The Keying to play has been happening here in our county in NY On a Sheriff Freq...The person will be found and it wont be pretty.....

hfxChris

Database Admin
Programming it in, just to "test the repeater", is not the right thing to do, whether detectable or not. Amateur radio operators are supposed to hold themselves to standards of legal and professional conduct. I got my ticket with the full knowledge that I would be accountable, whether legally or morally, for my conduct as an station operator. Just because he can, and probably won't get caught, doesn't make it the kind of behavior that should be encouraged. And for someone associated as an authority figure with this board to appear to condone it (whether you meant to or not), is probably not the message we should send to those asking for guidance on making these kind of decisions. Not a rant, and not pointing fingers at anyone, but can we do better as advisors/mentors/subject matter experts in what and how we suggest courses of action?

Since I get the impression you're directing that towards me, I will ask you to please point out where and how I appeared to condone something which I explicitly stated was not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.