Repeater Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Here' s one for somebody to answer, I have noticed multiple departments in the DB and elsewhere that have the same repeater output frequencies as another department, But the input frequency is usually always different than the previous, Does the input not have to be the same for all of them or does this matter?

DickH

Here' s one for somebody to answer, I have noticed multiple departments in the DB and elsewhere that have the same repeater output frequencies as another department, But the input frequency is usually always different than the previous, Does the input not have to be the same for all of them or does this matter?

Not on Hi-Band. On UHF there are specified spacings for various segments.

btritch

I thought these in and out are what you call "Pairs" and had to be the same whatever the case, I guess not thought, What do you know, I was wrong, Thanks for the correction....

af5rn

Yeah, VHF was already well populated before repeaters became prevalent. By the time UHF started populating, planners were already thinking ahead and specified specific pairs. Nowadays, you'll see the input freq be from one service (police, fire, local govt, special emerg.) and the output freq be from a completely different service as organisations scramble to find a pair to use. In the old days, frequency coordinators wouldn't allow that. Now, anything goes.

btritch

The reason I was asking is because my local PD uses one frequency now, 151.040 with an input of 155.970 and they've applied to the FCC for a new VHF trunk system with three Frequency Pairs, I didn't know Trunk systems existed in the VHF spectrum, I thought that was just 4 or 800 mhz bands... But they're wanting two new frequency pairs in the VHF spectrum along with a new VHF trunk system not far from the current frequencies, I don't know if FCC will approve it or not but we'll see, That's why I asked, I didn't think it was possible for Trunk in the VHF range, I guess it is though but then I started noticing everyone with the same output had different inputs and it threw me off, LOL

CCHLLM

Check out the Commonwealth of VA in the database. The STARS digital trunking system in VA is 150 mHz vhf.

af5rn

Yeah, trunking is "possible" anywhere, really. We have several VHF trunking systems in Dallas-Fort Worth, and the federal government loves them. But, as you have noticed, the frequencies can pop up anywhere. And they usually start by using the frequencies they already have, and adding a few extra.

btritch

Oookkkkk...I have to legally now say, I have saw my first VHF trunking system...

Like I said, The city here is trying to start one on that range but there's two things, 1) FCC may not approve it, They've kept a tight grip on VHF frequencies since 9/11 and
2) The Statewide AWIN digital system is already in place, They could switch to this and not even have to pay for the equipment like they would with option 1.. But it's their choice, I have no say so, I was just curious if it could be done on VHF but I guess I was proven wrong, LOL, Thanks

DickH

... 1) FCC may not approve it, They've kept a tight grip on VHF frequencies since 9/11 wrong, ...

Quite to the contrary. The VHF band previously had separate segments for Police, Fire and Local Government licensees. Now, any of them can use any of the freqs.

kc4wwu

VHF Repeater Inputs

Actually, Florida did in the day, have a specified "band plan" for VHF Public safety. I havent checked recently, but I do recall back in the day they did that. For example, 155.640, was the ouput for L.E. and 155.970 was the input, all across the state. Just different PL's. Check Nassau County FL, and Dixie County FL, and it confirms this. Since so many county's are going P25/or tunked, this may not be in effect anymore.

btritch

Let me ask this..

Ok, Since you guys seem to know a lot about this stuff, Let me ask this one to you...My fire department here uses 154.145 MHZ for all of their traffic no matter what the case maybe, Well upon checking thier FCC License I find out that not only are they licensed in the city here but also the neighboring city 25 miles down the road, Now, Why would a fire dept. that isn't anywhere close to this city need a repeater or license there, Well I got curious so I contacted the Fire Chief about the matter, and since this city is a suburb pretty well of the city here, They've got a repeater in the other city in case some of the crew are around that town when a call is toned out however, This other repeater 25 miles away is a pager tone repeater only... Upon asking more info, I find out it only repeater the tone out only, No other traffic, Now, not only did I know this wasn't possible or how this is done, This also got me thinking, How is that done? Pager tone and then it shuts down, etc.. Well, here's my question to you guys, Since it will repeat the pager tone for the FD pagers, will it also work the same way on a scanner, If I were to have my scanner in this other town 25 miles away and we get a call here, When the tone goes out, Will my scanner pick it up off that site there or will it just work for pagers only? Does anyone have any expertise with this field?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When the local dispatchers send out a call, it could be as simple as clicking a button to send the audio to that transmitter site as well. They could have a RF link, or via microwave or even a simple landline.

If they use tone and voice pagers (like a minitor), there is no reason you won't hear it on your scanner as well.

Last edited:

btritch

When the local dispatchers send out a call, it could be as simple as clicking a button to send the audio to that transmitter site as well. They could have a RF link, or via microwave or even a simple landline.

If they use tone and voice pagers (like a minitor), there is no reason you won't hear it on your scanner as well.

Ok, They do use minitor pagers, I think it's V, I know they use them for sure though... I'll hear the call but that's all I'll hear, Better than nothing I guess, LOL, The license says output Power of that location is 50.000 and Maximum ERP power for that location is 100.000, This means it would cover a pretty good size area, Right?

Sometimes, I can hear out FD from that city clear as a bell even when they're talking on the radio without being paged but I can't hear out PD at all... Could it possibly be transmitting all the traffic although they say it doesn't?

I was hoping I could pick it up from there though!! Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.