• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeater Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Has any one attempted to link GMRS repeaters via the internet?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No need to, we have amateur radio for that. :)

n9zas

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I know I know. But I know there are some users on here that are not hams or have no intentions on becoming a ham which is fine. Because ham radio does it doesn't mean that there is no need to do it on GMRS.

talkpair

I've seen some discussion of people linking 2 GMRS repeaters by involving a 3rd and 4th repeater using swapped input/output channels.

The biggest problem I see with linking GMRS repeaters is the inability for users in 'city A' to monitor the channel for communications already in progress by other GMRS users in 'city B' .
While monitoring for communications already in progress USED to be a rule, I can no longer find it in the FCC rules.

Unlike Amateur Radio or public safety radio, the GMRS radio service may have several repeaters, as well as simplex users operating in a small geographical area by different licensees, using various methods of access. All sharing a single channel or channel pair.

These things are important considerations before setting up a simple GMRS repeater, let alone linking repeaters in multiple cities.

Even automated broadcasting of CWID outside those times it's required by the FCC without monitoring for communications already in progress is going to be considered rude by anyone already using the channel.

I really don't mean to sound like a preachy old goat about this, but keep in mind that courtesy is a 2 way street. Any time a user 'steps on' someone using the channel, it's not going to be appreciated, whether it's intentional or not.

Also keep in mind that it takes just one fifteen dollar bubble-packed radio, and a couple AA batteries to render a two thousand dollar repeater investment useless.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I've seen some discussion of people linking 2 GMRS repeaters by involving a 3rd and 4th repeater using swapped input/output channels.

The biggest problem I see with linking GMRS repeaters is the inability for users in 'city A' to monitor the channel for communications already in progress by other GMRS users in 'city B' .
While monitoring for communications already in progress USED to be a rule, I can no longer find it in the FCC rules.

Unlike Amateur Radio or public safety radio, the GMRS radio service may have several repeaters, as well as simplex users operating in a small geographical area by different licensees, using various methods of access. All sharing a single channel or channel pair.

These things are important considerations before setting up a simple GMRS repeater, let alone linking repeaters in multiple cities.

Even automated broadcasting of CWID outside those times it's required by the FCC without monitoring for communications already in progress is going to be considered rude by anyone already using the channel.

I really don't mean to sound like a preachy old goat about this, but keep in mind that courtesy is a 2 way street. Any time a user 'steps on' someone using the channel, it's not going to be appreciated, whether it's intentional or not.

Also keep in mind that it takes just one fifteen dollar bubble-packed radio, and a couple AA batteries to render a two thousand dollar repeater investment useless.

I see your point. and I really don't agree with linking two repeaters via swapped input channels but its legal as per say. I will be putting up a repeater some time in the near future once I can get my TKR-820 programmed. And it was just a question I asked out of curiosity I have no intentions of linking two repeaters via internet but I was looking at a program called loudtalks depending on which version of loudtalks you have you can basically download their PTT app onto a smart phone or PC and access your radio network that way

talkpair

I was looking at a program called loudtalks depending on which version of loudtalks you have you can basically download their PTT app onto a smart phone or PC and access your radio network that way

I don't see a problem with that at all.

Sounds more like a different method of 'remote control' to me......Instead of using a tone or DC remote, you're using app with internet access.

WQFM513

I had an internet linked repeater set up for some time, I used the free radio network program. Freeradionetwork.eu if I remember right. It worked pretty well untill my duplexer on M1 crapped out. It is fairlt easy to moniter site a from site b. You just have to have audio feeds from both frequencies. I used moto maxtracs for both my repeaters, it was pretty easy to pull audio from both.

RKG

I don't see a problem with that at all.

Sounds more like a different method of 'remote control' to me......Instead of using a tone or DC remote, you're using app with internet access.

Except that it doesn't have the ability to "monitor" the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.