Repeater set up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1clo1

In looking to build a repeater for business use, I was wondering if any one knows some one I can talk to who would lease space to install a repeater in the Denver metro area. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Recommendation on who to talk to to set up a repeater, not looking for any one to tell me anything about licenses etc. I already know all this I just need suggestions on who I can talk to to lease space for a repeater system.

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Most commercial tower space is owned by Crown Castle, American Tower, SBA and maybe a few others. It's getting rare to find privately owned towers in most metropolitan areas.
Those companies will charge a lot of money for tower space and enclosure space.

Your best bet is to find a tall building downtown and start talking to the owner. Find out if they'll lease you space on the roof and some space for your repeater.
Don't be surprised if it is really expensive, and comes with a lot of requirements for insurance and what sort of equipment you install.

Vizwar

You might consider buying airtime off a commercial provider. There’s several in the area. Often times you can own your radios or lease them as part of the air time arrangement. Could be worth comparing to the price of rack and tower space at a site.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have seen tower owners even spec what is mounted how it is grounded ect.

Exactly. When sharing towers, there's a lot of rules.
Requiring proper grounding protects all users on the tower and in the hut.
Requiring intermod suppression panels is common.
Most companies require certified/bonded/insured tower climbers to do any installation.
Some require intermodulation studies to be funded by the new client.

It can get expensive really quick. Purchasing airtime from an existing provider is a much cheaper approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.