• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

repeater squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramchops

I was curious about something and thought yall can help. When 2 radios are close together and one xmits, the other squeals until theyre further apart. We all know that. My question is how does that happen with a repeater? If I xmit on 158.xxxx and Rx on 154.xxxx, how would the other radio still squeal if they are close if Im not using simplex? this happened to one of our firefighters using a mobile with his handheld on in the cab and I don't understand. Our radios I use at my full time job are on repeater also but they only pick up their voice when close to another and you get that echo effect but not the annoying squeal. Does it have to do with digital / analog or what?

12dbsinad

I was curious about something and thought yall can help. When 2 radios are close together and one xmits, the other squeals until theyre further apart. We all know that. My question is how does that happen with a repeater? If I xmit on 158.xxxx and Rx on 154.xxxx, how would the other radio still squeal if they are close if Im not using simplex? this happened to one of our firefighters using a mobile with his handheld on in the cab and I don't understand. Our radios I use at my full time job are on repeater also but they only pick up their voice when close to another and you get that echo effect but not the annoying squeal. Does it have to do with digital / analog or what?

The repeater runs full duplex. Which means whatever is being transmitted on freq A you will hear on freq B at the same time. So essentially it is the same type of squeal as if you are on simplex. I would assume your work radios are digital? Fire on analog?

Last edited:

Ramchops

yes. our fire is analog and work is digital. Thanks for the info, but what is the benefit of running full duplex vs. whatever other options there may be? also essentially your saying were transmitting on both frequencies?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's the same principle, even on a repeated channel. The mic being used picks up received audio from the idle radio.

jim202

It's the same principle, even on a repeated channel. The mic being used picks up received audio from the idle radio.

It's called feedback. Like was said before if you have 2 radios close together on a simplex channel, you can talk on one and hear yourself coming out of the other radio. If the volume is turned up loud enough on the radio receiving, you will get feedback and what you call the squeal.

The same thing can happen with the repeater. Only now your using a radio repeater that is some what removed from where the 2 portable radios are being used. Depending on the repeater and the audio control circuitry, there might be a slight delay or echo in the voice. But again, if the volume is turned up high enough on the portable doing the receiving, you can get the feedback.

12dbsinad

yes. our fire is analog and work is digital. Thanks for the info, but what is the benefit of running full duplex vs. whatever other options there may be? also essentially your saying were transmitting on both frequencies?

A repeater is essetially used to increase range from handhelds and/or mobile units. When you transmit, it goes to the repeater, with a large antenna usually and at a nice high location to recieve your low power handheld. It then re-transmits (at the same time) on anouther frequency back out at a lot higher power level, to a handheld lets say way across a town or city, and vise versa. On simplex, talking portable to portable would never achieve this, unless you are relitively close to each other.

Ramchops

A repeater is essetially used to increase range from handhelds and/or mobile units. When you transmit, it goes to the repeater, with a large antenna usually and at a nice high location to recieve your low power handheld. It then re-transmits (at the same time) on anouther frequency back out at a lot higher power level, to a handheld lets say way across a town or city, and vise versa. On simplex, talking portable to portable would never achieve this, unless you are relitively close to each other.

Thanks for the replies.... I understand what a repeater does, but I always thought (that's probably the problem) that if im out a ways from the repeater and transmit on one freq, I receive on the other, therefore I figured there should be no feedback like we get, but I suppose if were txing across both freqs that would make sense. Our work radios will not feedback a squeal at all, only the echo effect of the voice.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Yes it's audio feedback. Nothing to do with the RF path (simplex vs a repeater). If a microphone picks up its own audio it will pass it back through a loop. Without any delay (analog) this will settle out as a loud squeal usually around the higher end frequency of the audio passband. It won't go much higher because the passband starts dropping off and can't support feedback higher than the squeal your getting (which is annoying enough).

With digital there is a time delay on receive that prevents the feedback from getting up to the squeal frequencies, but instead gives the weird escalating echo thing.

gtaman

When on a repeater I call this the whammie effect. The delay of the repeater cause the feedback to echo and be delayed. It happen on p25 digital in general on simplex because of the vocoder delay. It happens in analog too with a digital vocoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.