Repeater Stations near Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

paton400

Hey,
Im very confused...

I just bought 4 FCD FD450 radios, and their range in not very far in the centre of Sydney. I know that in built up areas they range is reduced, but I cant even get 2ks out of them!

After a lot of googling, I have found out that I can connect to a repeater station in Hurtsville, and that will give me range over the whole of Sydney! Is this the case?
If so how on earth do I connect to it?
It says something about having to switch to Duplex. Im not quite sure how to do this.

The manual doesnt really tell me what im doing, just how to do it...

So when I select the duplex button it gives me three options, 'S', - (minus) and '+' (plus). Im guessing the S means simplex.
It also requires me to type in a code, or frequency in the form of 00.000. I have no idea what to put in here. The frequency for the repeater as far as I can see is on channel 1 (476.425)

Can anyone help??

Comint

Premium Subscriber
. . I just bought 4 FDC FD450 radios, and their range in not very far in the centre of Sydney. I know that in built up areas they range is reduced, but I cant even get 2ks out of them!

After a lot of googling, I have found out that I can connect to a repeater station in Hurtsville, and that will give me range over the whole of Sydney! Is this the case?
If so how on earth do I connect to it?
It says something about having to switch to Duplex. Im not quite sure how to do this.

The manual doesnt really tell me what im doing, just how to do it...

So when I select the duplex button it gives me three options, 'S', - (minus) and '+' (plus). Im guessing the S means simplex.
It also requires me to type in a code, or frequency in the form of 00.000. I have no idea what to put in here. The frequency for the repeater as far as I can see is on channel 1 (476.425)
I am assuming you are talking about Australian UHF CB.

Hurstville Repeater is about 14 km from the the Sydney CBD. The Repeater output frequency is 476.4250 MHz, and the Repeater input frequency is 477.1750 MHz, so the Duplex "code" would be '+' and 0.750. This means your radios Receive on 476.4250, and Transmit on 477.1750 MHz.

You may care to download this User Manual at:-

http://bricofred.ch/fdc_txrx/fdc_460_operation_manual.pdf

as it may be a bit easier to understand.

PS. It helps if your Profile shows at least your State and Country.

--
Comint

Last edited:

paton400

Ah perfect. That works, when i press PTT the channel changes to 477.175. However I cannot hear anything on the other radio when I talk.

Will the radio reach the repeater if its 14k away?

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Ah perfect. That works, when i press PTT the channel changes to 477.175. However I cannot hear anything on the other radio when I talk.
Do you hear a "Tail" on the first radio, immediately after you release the PTT.

Will the radio reach the repeater if its 14k away?

If you are in the middle of the "concrete jungle", more than likely NOT.
Maybe you need to find a tall building, and try it from there.

Also, check that you do not have CTCSS or DCS selected on any of the radios.

--
Comint

Status
Not open for further replies.