Repeater Transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanm214

Hello,

Generally, how far away do two HT's have to be for them to receive audio on the same repeater in order to avoid desense. For me 2 miles is too close. Is there any way that a the repeater can work within two or three miles or so without desensing. Would I have to switch both radios to low or power?

Thanks

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You're talking about when you transmit on one radio and listen on the other? Has nothing to do with the repeater. One radio is too close to the other. The distance from the repeater has nothing to do with it; it's the distance between the two radios. Now if the radios are 2 miles apart, there should be absolutely no desense taking place.

Seanm214

You're talking about when you transmit on one radio and listen on the other? Has nothing to do with the repeater. One radio is too close to the other. The distance from the repeater has nothing to do with it; it's the distance between the two radios. Now if the radios are 2 miles apart, there should be absolutely no desense taking place.
Yes I was talking about the distance of the two HT’s not how far away they are from the repeater. Just switched both radios to low power and now it works. Thank you

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hello,

Generally, how far away do two HT's have to be for them to receive audio on the same repeater in order to avoid desense. For me 2 miles is too close. Is there any way that a the repeater can work within two or three miles or so without desensing. Would I have to switch both radios to low or power?

Thanks

Wow. Two miles seems quite excessive. Usually tens of feet will suffice. What model radios are these?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Quality radios do better than others. CCRs with wide open front ends can be desensed and overloaded from wireless routers. XTS5000s can be a few feet away and not get bothered. Also depends on the frequency difference, VHF (assuming 600KHz) versus UHF (assuming 5MHz) also plays a role.

WB9YBM

Might also be a case of intermod: reminds me of when I hooked up an H.T. (granted it was an old one--this was a few years ago) to an outside antenna and got squeals and such all over the place-it was never intended to receive as many signals as what you'll hear on an outdoor/base station antenna.

Seanm214

I
Might also be a case of intermod: reminds me of when I hooked up an H.T. (granted it was an old one--this was a few years ago) to an outside antenna and got squeals and such all over the place-it was never intended to receive as many signals as what you'll hear on an outdoor/base station antenna.
I figured it out the problem was that both of the radios needed to be on low power transmit. Thank you

Seanm214

Quality radios do better than others. CCRs with wide open front ends can be desensed and overloaded from wireless routers. XTS5000s can be a few feet away and not get bothered. Also depends on the frequency difference, VHF (assuming 600KHz) versus UHF (assuming 5MHz) also plays a role.
I figured it out the problem was that both of the radios needed to transmit on low power thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.