• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeating in P25 Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmullins8195

Folks,

One of the other radio folks I stay in touch with has told me that I can program my radios in P25 mode, and talk over my analog repeater and that it would be a cheap way of going digital. Is this true? Can I program my XTS2500's to be in P25 on Rx/Tx and use my existing analog repeater to move the signal?

Thanks for your input.

mancow

Database Admin
No, unless your repeater can pass digital it won't work. There are a couple of work arounds but they aren't the best way to do things. The first is the flat audio method. You can make it work somewhat reliably by using flat audio out from the repeater receiver to the repeater's transmitter. However, things must be match exactly with absolutely no filtering in between. Even with that the waveform will be distorted and the range will be decreased if it works reliably at all. There is a thread about it at the batlabs forums. I built a couple of these in the past. One was a Bendix King LPU handheld feeding a P200 as the transmitter but as I said flat audio had to be located and fed directly between both. The other was two maxtracs with the flat audio pins connected which is the easiest and most reliable way to do it. It worked as well but wasn't anywhere near the quality of a true digital repeater due to the fact a real digital repeater will analyze the data and regenerate a proper waveform at it's transmitter.

The second is the double vocoding method. It's much more reliable but can suffer from audio degredation. That involves simply feeding the analog decoded digital audio out of a digital capable receiver to the transmit audio of a digital capable transmitter. You are essentially decoding digital, converting to analog, injecting analog into the transmit radio which in turn passes through another vocoder and it transmitted digitally. It's the same concept of making a copy of a copy and each bit of noise and digital artifacts are compounded every time it passes through another layer of vocoding. But, the advantage is a transmitter that is producing a proper digital signal.

An analog repeater with normal analog filtered audio paths will not pass digital in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.