HP-2: Replace SMA Connector With BNC Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCMAN

FLRAILMAN Duplicate Account
Banned
Have any HP1 or HP2 owners replaced the SMA connector with the more popular BNC connector? I am considering getting the HP2 but the SMA connector & the problems present owners are encountering are almost a dealbreaker for me, I would've purchased the BCD436HP by now but wanted to wait until all the 436/536 dust settled, thanks in advance.

Volunteer Now
American Red Cross | Disaster Relief, CPR Certification, Donate Blood

Voyager

I too hate the SMA connector, but I've found comfort in the knowledge that if I use the supplied adapter, and the BNC wears out, all I have to do is replace the adapter which is much easier than replacing the connector on the scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Replacing the SMA brings up a couple of problems. If the unit is in warranty, you will likely void the remained of the warranty. Secondly, it may not fit due to the physical dffierence from the BNC. If you use an adapter, it reduces the wear on the SMA but using a longer/heavier antenna can put additional stress on the SMA and cause failure of the connection internally.

ARCMAN

FLRAILMAN Duplicate Account
Banned
HP-2 Replace SMA Connector With BNC Connector

Replacing the SMA brings up a couple of problems. If the unit is in warranty, you will likely void the remained of the warranty. Secondly, it may not fit due to the physical dffierence from the BNC. If you use an adapter, it reduces the wear on the SMA but using a longer/heavier antenna can put additional stress on the SMA and cause failure of the connection internally.

Those are valid concerns however I did find this antenna.

Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna

I have the BNC version & it is featherweight.

Police Scanner, Radio Scanners Frequency, Uniden, Bearcat, AOR, Radio Shack | ScannerMaster.com carries the Scanner Master SpectrumForce Antennas 800 MHz antenna with an SMA connector which by far is not much heavier then the stock HP-2 antenna.

Universal Radio also carries the #5026 SMA right angle adapter which weighs much less then the BNC adapter.

We shall see & thanks all for your input.

Voyager

If you use an adapter, it reduces the wear on the SMA but using a longer/heavier antenna can put additional stress on the SMA and cause failure of the connection internally.

If you use the stock adapter, it actually supports the SMA connector by transferring the stress to the case, as the base is larger than the connector. If you use a cheap adapter, what you said might happen.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Have any HP1 or HP2 owners replaced the SMA connector with the more popular BNC connector? I am considering getting the HP2 but the SMA connector & the problems present owners are encountering are almost a dealbreaker for me, I would've purchased the BCD436HP by now but wanted to wait until all the 436/536 dust settled, thanks in advance.
I'm not sure what you are reading, but the SMA connector is superior to the BNC connector, and nowadays, becoming more popular. The BNC connector has too much wiggle room (loose) and causes breakage and wear much too often - this is not the case with SMA.

Voyager

My biggest complaint about the SMA is trying to change antennas while driving. With BNC it's easy, quick, and safe. With SMA you end up with a tangled feedline that takes way too long and creates a dangerous situation.

And yes, there ARE times when you have to change a connection while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.