• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Replacement 2.5mm jack for Baofeng UV-82

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

Has anyone found a source for the through-hole 2.5mm jack (3 position, switched) that's used in the UV-82? I have one that's not connecting properly anymore.
Then again, whether to replace the whole radio instead of replacing the jack is the other question, but I already have a rework station at hand...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Beofengs are pretty much like Bic lighters. When they quit working, it's cheaper to throw it away than repair it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Not worth the work on a CCR. The low cost (cheap) components in those radios can be difficult to remove and impossible to solder.

nd5y

That is a common problem but it could just be dirty. You can try cleaning the jack with isopropyl alcohol and blow it out with compressed air. That might fix it for a while.

needairtime

Thanks tdeater, that 409shop ... I think I found something that may work:

Earpiece Jack for TYT MD380 409shop,walkie-talkie,Handheld Transceiver- Radio

This looks *very* close to what the UV82 uses!

BTW: As far as I can tell, the jack is broken. When plugged in, it causes an internal short, likely due to poor tolerances and bent out of shape.
Unfortunately the jack probably cannot be second sourced from another manufacturer, so stuck with replacing with the same manufacturer. Boo.

I don't need the 3.5mm one...

Now whether I jury rig some other solution or not, that is the question.

Last edited:

bharvey2

I think I'd go with the cleaning method. Given the price of a UV82, I'd order a new jack with a UV82 attached to it if you know what I mean.

needairtime

Getting closer to a possible source, but I don't need 100 pieces, and easier to buy another radio!

US $28.84 |100pc Panel PCB 2.5mm Female Earphone Headphone Jack Audio Stereo Cable Plug J25-in Connectors from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It's a pity because the radio is fairly new and still otherwise works. Also open to get multiple connectors because I figure it will happen again sometime.

Or perhaps: "HEY WHAT'S THESE THREE WIRES STICKING OUT OF YOUR HT?" "oh... the jack doesn't work so I need to solder to those wires instead."

--------------------

EDIT:

JACKPOT! PCB Mounting 5 Terminals 2.5mm Stereo Jack Socket Connector Black 5PCS 714998346834 | eBay

--------------------

Last edited:

bharvey2

One place you might try is Jameco Electronics in Belmont California. They have a good selection and you might find what you want there. Other options are Allied Eleetronics and Mouser. All have decent websites and if they have what you want, you can buy just a few.

needairtime

I was really hoping that Mouser and/or Digikey would have them, neither did or was not able to find something that matched. Parts Express didn't seem to have something that matched either. I usually don't have much luck looking for specific stuff from Jameco (IMHO Jameco is the "Big Lots" or "Odd Lots" of electronics goodies), and I rarely ever check Allied... might need to check them anyway.

I suspect I may need more of them in the future since it seemed so easy to break so a few extra pieces is fine. 100 is way too many, I doubt the circuit board traces would survive that many replacement cycles, even with my temperature controlled irons. Then it's time to get another radio, or start having little wires hanging out the side...

BTW, baofeng soldering/assembly was fairly messy on my radio though wasn't the reason why the connector failed. The connector itself was the problem IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.