Replacement AC Adapter for RS scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickS31

First, let me preface this with the fact that I have absolutely no connection to PowerLine products, Amazon or any other product supplier.

I had purchased a PRO 106 several months ago. I have had my eys open for an AC adapter for it since I got it. I really couldn't see spending the amount both RS and GRE wanted for a 9 volt DC, 500 ma adapter for it. Typically and roughly $30. In my investigation, I was concerned about voltage regulation, DC filtering and flexibility for any generic adapter.

I have found, purchased and tried just such an adapter. It works beautifully. The adapter is manufactured by PowerLine Products with Model #0900-77A. Flexibility and accuracy are definitely it's middle name. It comes with 7 different adapter plugs (one of which perfectly fits the 106), It has 6 selectable voltages from 3 Volts to 12 volts all at 1300 ma possible current feed. (9 volts included as is 6 volts). A reversible set of 7 different sized adapter plugs so that you can set them to either tip + or tip - AND a USB charger port which provides 5 volts DC to charge your USB devices.

Now for the good part. $11.69 from Amazon.

Take a look: Amazon.com: Power Line 0900-77A 1300-mA AC Adapter with USB Charging Port: Electronics

As always, I absolutely recommend NOT charging your batteries in the scanner. Best to use an external smart charger. Use your black battery holder while on the adapter!

Happy to answer any questions. Great value.
Rick

SAR923

Dang, Rick, nice find for a 1300 milliamp regulated adapter. Looks like a lot better deal than the usual RS wall wart.

RickS31

Jim,
I totally agree on the value. I've been running it for 2 days now and it's perfect. I also charged my GPS unit through the USB part of the adapter. I have a lot of battery powered devices and this will replace most all of their wall warts without having to remember which one goes with which device.

Rick

cubn

Database Admin
I use the PowerLine adapter as a replacement as well. Works well for the Pro96 and 396T. I get a little hum from the adapter when charging the Pro96 when I'm right close to the adapter.

RickS31

I just want to emphasize that it is not a good idea to charge batteries in any of these scanners with the AC adapter. I've designed and built chargers and have also done a ton of research on what the designers of these rechargeables want the chargers to do to insure both full charge and full life.

Each type of battery, NiCd, NiMh and LiIon have different requirements for charge curves and discharge cutoffs. Exceeding those can result in both battery life loss as well as destruction. Included is possible destruction of the device they're in.

I decided to do an experiment with the PRO 106 with HiCap NiMh batteries. These were good batteries with only about 25 or 30 charge/discharge cycles on them. They were fully charged by an external smart charger for NiMh batteries. Within 5 hours sitting in the yellow battery carrier attached to the AC adapter, these batteries turned extremely hot. Clearly well on their way to self destruction.

What's the message. Don't charge in the scanner! They have no smarts in them. Their whole charge process is to jam 150 or more ma into the battery no matter what. No cutoff, no overheat detection and no time limit. Bad, bad, bad.

Just a word of caution. Maybe you haven't had trouble yet but you will. Just my two cents worth.

Rick

josh811ncvfd

Feed Provider
Central City, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky
I've had a PRO 95 for several years. It requires a 9v DC power source. I bought the Powerline adapter. Somehow the cord got severed right out of the brick. I dug in the junk drawer and found an old 6v adapter and cut the wires and twisted them together. Been using it this way for more than 3 years. No issues. I wouldn't recommend this though.

I currently broadcast my scanner. I use a cable from the scanner to the PC. I then come out of the speaker port on the PC and go to a MP3 FM transmitter. I can pick up the scanner on any radio in any room in the house while it is being broadcast on RadioReference in the ofice on the 3rd floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.