Replacement Win96 keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwrice

Feed Provider
Has anyone had any luck getting a replacement for a lost Win96 key? I have tried requesting one from starrsoft at least twice but get no response at all from them.

I like Win 96 but the lack of response bothers me. If I could at least get an answer, even if it were no, it would be better than nothing.

Jon

ICP963

Feed Provider
Has anyone had any luck getting a replacement for a lost Win96 key? I have tried requesting one from starrsoft at least twice but get no response at all from them.

I like Win 96 but the lack of response bothers me. If I could at least get an answer, even if it were no, it would be better than nothing.

Jon
Sorry to say, but treat your win96 key like you would cash. If you misplaced a $50 bill, don't expect Obama to mail you another one. After all, it dosen't cost Obama $50 to print another one. Don tells you up front that you SHOULD print the registration information that includes the key and put it in a safe place.

I have my software keys for various programs in a file that I keep in the same firesafe security box that I keep the rest of my household files, warranty documents and so forth.

jonwrice

Feed Provider
Well let's just say lesson re-learned. I thought I had my key safely stored but, nope, I didn't. Entirely my fault.

First I want to say to anyone that is considering WIN 96 that I really liked the program.

From the starrsoft website -

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win96 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win96 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). In many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response.

(end paste)

I got no response whatsoever to my requests and, like I said before, "no" would have been fine. I should have kept better track of my key after all.

By contrast, from the Butel website -

Unlike other vendors we keep records of all keys and will replace lost keys free of charge

(end paste)

OK, I don't know for certain who he's referring to but you just got to think there is some kinda "history" here that I'm unaware of,,,

What I would recommend to anyone is to email your software keys to yourself at a web based email service and then archive them there. Then almost nothing can take them away, divorce, fire, etc,,,

Flame on, flamers!

DonS

Well let's just say lesson re-learned. I thought I had my key safely stored but, nope, I didn't. Entirely my fault.

First I want to say to anyone that is considering WIN 96 that I really liked the program.

From the starrsoft website -

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win96 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win96 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). In many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response.

(end paste)

I got no response whatsoever to my requests and, like I said before, "no" would have been fine.
See above, especially the big text.

By contrast, from the Butel website -

Unlike other vendors we keep records of all keys and will replace lost keys free of charge

(end paste)

OK, I don't know for certain who he's referring to
It's pretty clear that the Butel website text is referring to my policy of "don't lose your key", since we're the only serious players in the PRO-96 arena.
but you just got to think there is some kinda "history" here that I'm unaware of,,,
To my knowledge, the only "history" is Win96... the program that was released the same day as the PRO-96 (as opposed to being released long after the scanner was discontinued by the manufacturer).

jonwrice

Feed Provider
Tom,

Well, yes I got this resolved in that I got a definitive answer from Don. No I did not get a replacement key. And that's ok, what I didn't like was the deafening silence in response to my email queries.

The irony here is that I went months with no response to my emails but 27 minutes after my post I got a response.

So, for the record. WIN 96, really nice program. Don't lose your key.

I really don't want to beat this to death. This is a free country and you can run your business any way you want - and I support that wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.