• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Replacements for Baofeng UV82HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

A HH is worthless where I live unless it is high power. My UV82 on HP was the only mode that worked. I would like to replace them. The things I didn't like were having to go into programming mode and I believe saving the transmit and receive differently. Also the buttons aren't very useful and the scan is snail pace.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
A HH is worthless where I live unless it is high power. My UV82 on HP was the only mode that worked. I would like to replace them. The things I didn't like were having to go into programming mode and I believe saving the transmit and receive differently. Also the buttons aren't very useful and the scan is snail pace.

The most important part of any radio is the antenna. Cant stress this enough. Are you planning on working portable, mobile or base? VHF or UHF?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
An older model comercial grade radio such as a Motorola xts or efj5100 will give you much better performance at a very reasonable cost. The efj5100 has been around for a long time, but has the advantage of available software and even FPP on all models. I still use mine as a back up to my mobile when storm spotting, and there is even a 900 MHz version of the 5100.

scanmanmi

if only used as a "Scanner" aka Monitor, then POWER has no bearing on the suggestions.
Mainly, only, mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,mainly, only,

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Using Baofengs as scanners is a losing proposition. They are slow. They don't cover 700/800MHz. They don't receive aircraft. They don't receive low band. They can't receive any digital modes.

As an amateur hand held they have receivers that easily overload and transmitters the radiate spurs.

Otherwise, what's not to like?

Get a Yaesu FT-65 (around $85) or an FT-60 while they're still available for HT use.

Get a real scanner.

The difference between 5 watts and 8 watts is 2dB. One-third of an S unit.

Dump the Baofeng.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was thinking of Baofeng GT-3TP Mark-III. It's high power. Any opinions on these?
Transmitter power is irrelevant for scanning. All Baofeng radios scan at about 3 channels/sec. A 436 does about 80. If you want to access repeaters, an Anytone 878 is a much better option. A better receiver, cleaner 8-9W output in turbo mode on VHF, and it does DMR.

nd5y

I was thinking of Baofeng GT-3TP Mark-III. It's high power. Any opinions on these?
They are basically the same as the high power versions of UV-82 & UV-5R with a different case design.
Same programming.
Same slow scan speed.
Same dirty transmitter.
Same easily overloaded receiver that gets worse with a better antenna.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Buy a scanner if you want fast scan. Even the real (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu) HTs do not scan "fast".
As for ham use, stick to the Big Three if you want a quality, technically stable, long lasting product. Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu.

Used commercial/public safety gear is available at bargain prices, and it can't be beat from a tech standards viewpoint. If you can get the bucks together, the newer Kenwood 5000 radios will do analog, NXDN, and your choice of a third mode. P25 or DMR.

rescuecomm

Dual band commercial/public radios are available at bargain prices where? The Yaseu FT-65 appears to be more in line with what he is needing to replace.

RS

scanmanmi

The difference between 5 watts and 8 watts is 2dB. One-third of an S unit.
The difference between 5 watts and 8 watts is Go or No Go. It makes a big non-mathematical difference.

Lots of the radios suggested are out of stock. I can only carry one HT so here is what I would like. 8 watts on amateur bands, plus MURS, FRS, under $80. I think they all probably scan. The squelch tail on the UV82 is horrendous! Even when using DCS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.