Replacing BNC connector on radio shack mag mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpg178

I have a radio shack mag mount scanner antenna, the BNC connector on it broke somehow and I need to replace it but when I go to search for BNC connectors it has 3 different types of COAX cable connectors, does anyone know what type of coax the wire for the antenna has, I have never installed/replaced a connector before so I would prefer to buy the right connector.

Thanks!

jim202

I have a radio shack mag mount scanner antenna, the BNC connector on it broke somehow and I need to replace it but when I go to search for BNC connectors it has 3 different types of COAX cable connectors, does anyone know what type of coax the wire for the antenna has, I have never installed/replaced a connector before so I would prefer to buy the right connector.

Thanks!

Have you tried looking at the cable? Normally the make and model number is stamped on the cable in white lettering.

cpg178

After looking close I found the type: RG-580, was printed very small. Thank you Jim for saying that. Any tips for someone doing this for the first time so I dont screw it up?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
After looking close I found the type: RG-580, was printed very small. Thank you Jim for saying that. Any tips for someone doing this for the first time so I dont screw it up?

That'll be RG-58U, not 580. Not that'd you'd find 580, but might save you some frustration…

Very common coaxial cable for mobile installs. Shouldn't have any issues finding BNC's for that. In fact, I've probably got a bunch in my shop. If you were on the right side of the country, I'd be happy to do it for you.

cpg178

and I just bought a standard RG-58 connector online, will that still work?

teufler

well a standard rg58 connector will work, you will get an adapter to change from a pl259 connector to a bnc connector. If you have enough space behind the radio or on top of the radio, the adapter adds about 1 inch over just a bnc connector alone.

prcguy

I think it would be better to have a radio shop or ham radio friend install the connector. If the OP has to buy a crimper it will cost more than the mag mount. Plus there is a chance he will make a mistake and need another connector.

At the very least have someone who is familiar with installing crimp BNC connectors help you the first time.
prcguy

Yes it is a crimp on I got from American Radio Supply.

RG-58/U - BNC-Male Dual Crimp Plug Coaxial Connector (BNC-3822)

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
right angle bnc connector

Why mess around with the difficult connectors when you can buy a right angle conneector that has a screw on center contact. on ebay

I think it would be better to have a radio shop or ham radio friend install the connector. If the OP has to buy a crimper it will cost more than the mag mount. Plus there is a chance he will make a mistake and need another connector.

At the very least have someone who is familiar with installing crimp BNC connectors help you the first time.
prcguy

prcguy

The connector he bought is the absolute easiest to install if you have the correct tools and I can put one on with perfect results in about 30 seconds with the right stripper and crimper. Add a length of hot glue heat shrink as a strain relief and it will be better than new. I would not trust a "no tools connector" on a cable that moves.
prcguy

Why mess around with the difficult connectors when you can buy a right angle conneector that has a screw on center contact. on ebay

Redneck0410

I replaced one about 7 or 8 years ago with the kind that all you have to do is just trim the outer back about a half inch or so and slide the cable in (leaving the center jacket alone) and it worked perfectly for me. Hell, I just replaced another one on my Larsen Mag-mount NMO antenna with one on Friday and it works like brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.