Replacing ST2 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

After 6 years my ST-2 antenna is done. A year ago one of the top angled radials broke off. This year I noticed the other one is cracked and ready to fall off. I would like to get another one, but was wondering if anyone has tried to reinforce the angled radials? I now about reinforcing the vertical radials, but have not seen anything about the angled ones. The best price I found so far is from Radio Shack on ebay for $44.99 delivered. Has anyone found a better price? I mostly monitor 225-400 mhz and some 160 mhz. Obviously price is a concern, but I would be open to antennas if anyone has any suggestions. I am disappointed the ST-2 only lasted 6 years here in NE Florida. I have a almost constant sea breeze and lots of gusts which make the radials vibrate back and forth which is what has cause them to break. I have looked at the OmniX Scanner Base Antenna for $139.95, but it seems a little pricey, unless it has really great performance. Has anyone tried to home brew an antenna similar to the OmniX? I have never cared for Discones and I have always been pleased with the reception I get with the ST-2. Thanks for listening to an old man's rant.--Gary

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The newer versions of the ST-2 supposedly have more reinforcing to help prevent that sort of thing. I don't have an old one to compare it to, but the one I bought a few months ago seems pretty sturdy...

mule1075

Feed Provider
I like both with the edge going to the Omni-X.Now that radio shack owns antennacraft I see the price went up.Got my scantenna a few years ago for 33 something shipped if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

zonian149

I have my receipt from Solid Signal from January 2008 and the antenna was 29.99 + $7.95 shipping for a total of $37.94. I guess $44.99 is not much of an increase in 8 years. especially if it is reinforced. Does anyone that has the "Newer Version" have any pictures of the areas that were reinforced? I would like to compare it to my existing antenna?

rbm

I wish I could find something better than the ST2 antennas. (I'm always looking and I've paid lots of $$$ for a few others and haven't been impressed.)

I could. For each band, but not so much for wide coverage.
(And I do have a few antennas for individual bands.)

Many people rave about one antenna or another but have never done a side-by-side, long term comparison.

My newer ST2 antennas 'seem' to be better built that my older ones.

I have five of them in use and for years I had to replace one or two of them every year.
I still have three spares that I bought years ago and I haven't needed them.

That hasn't been a problem in the last six years.

Every once in a while, SolidSignal has had a sale on them for around $40. (that $44.99 isn't a bad price)
(They sold some on ebay a while back also)
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=st2

Rich

I 'think' they addressed the broken insulator problems a few years ago.

Edit: By the way, where I live, I have lots of trees blow down every year so I know what strong winds are like.
Although ..................... I don't get the hurricanes and salt that you get. ;)

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
I have read you can use fiberglass bicycle flag rods. Other than that & soldering you may just want to get a new one. I had concerns after reading stories like yours but been told a few times they are a lot better now. Thicker construction now. I'm still considering reinforcing the one I have before I put it up...

zonian149

Rich, you photo doesn't look any different than the photo from my installation manual from 6 years ago. If I have the reinforced one then they didn't do a very good job in my opinion. I just can't justify $139 for the OmniX so I think I will just order another ST-2.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
To me, it seems that $44 for 6 years of listening is a pretty decent deal. I've always been curious about the different scanner antennas out there but never had the need for it. My local systems are all simulcast, where, too much signal is the issue at hand. Attenuators are what I need.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
I just can't justify $139 for the OmniX so I think I will just order another ST-2.

I can attest that would be a wise decision. I'm not impressed with the omni-x, sorry to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.