Reply to a thread in another Uniden forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I feel that the referenced thread should be here so thats why I am replying to it here, http://forums.radioreference.com/un...uctions-bizarre-software-faulty-controls.html

I have used BCD536HP since "day 1". I didn't have any experience with a Home Patrol type Uniden scanner before this. My last Uniden scanner before the 536 was a BCD996T. I bought another 536 yesterday even though I'm not too impressed with the P25 Phase II decoding but I think that to have 100% P25 Phase II decoding would have sent the price a bit higher which for me would be a justification not to buy 1 let alone 2

I did start using Sentinel when it was released. I had some questions that were answered here on RadioReference. To me just using Sentinel was for the most part fairly easy. I have since gone in and changed programming of my favorites in order to refine the operation of scanner.

I feel that to program this scanner without the software would be difficult unless you were to use the locations based programming. But that requires an additional purchase.

It took me a couple of days to get used to the programming and nuances of the new scanner BUT I would not make a statement that this scanner is not suitable for professional use. I for one wouldn't even entertain using this scanner or my other previous scanners for professional use. That's why Motorola and Harris make public safety communications equipment and they cost $2000+ for handheld units.

I do use one of my older Uniden scanners, a BC796D, at work in order to monitor a Public Safety agency that sometimes causes interference to our VHF Land/Mobile system. But this is very much more for connivence than anything else. Plus I had it just sitting around gathering dust. My BCD799T will replace it tomorrow.

But to use a consumer grade product for actual professional use and to expect it perform as a professional piece of equipment is just right. I know that my 536 is not the same as the 436 but from what I have read here on RadioReference programming is essentially the same.

bberns22

I feel that the referenced thread should be here so thats why I am replying to it here, http://forums.radioreference.com/un...uctions-bizarre-software-faulty-controls.html

I have used BCD536HP since "day 1". I didn't have any experience with a Home Patrol type Uniden scanner before this. My last Uniden scanner before the 536 was a BCD996T. I bought another 536 yesterday even though I'm not too impressed with the P25 Phase II decoding but I think that to have 100% P25 Phase II decoding would have sent the price a bit higher which for me would be a justification not to buy 1 let alone 2

I did start using Sentinel when it was released. I had some questions that were answered here on RadioReference. To me just using Sentinel was for the most part fairly easy. I have since gone in and changed programming of my favorites in order to refine the operation of scanner.

I feel that to program this scanner without the software would be difficult unless you were to use the locations based programming. But that requires an additional purchase.

It took me a couple of days to get used to the programming and nuances of the new scanner BUT I would not make a statement that this scanner is not suitable for professional use. I for one wouldn't even entertain using this scanner or my other previous scanners for professional use. That's why Motorola and Harris make public safety communications equipment and they cost $2000+ for handheld units.

I do use one of my older Uniden scanners, a BC796D, at work in order to monitor a Public Safety agency that sometimes causes interference to our VHF Land/Mobile system. But this is very much more for connivence than anything else. Plus I had it just sitting around gathering dust. My BCD799T will replace it tomorrow.

But to use a consumer grade product for actual professional use and to expect it perform as a professional piece of equipment is just right. I know that my 536 is not the same as the 436 but from what I have read here on RadioReference programming is essentially the same.

What does "professional use" mean?

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
What does "professional use" mean?

To me professional means that you are using a piece of equipment, whether it is a radio or a axe, to perform you job. For a piece of Public Safety communications equipment I feel it means that you are depending on that said equipment to save, protect or enhance a human life. If you are going to use a scanner to monitor police, fire or another Public Safety agency to respond to an incident where you are not directly involved in the incident, tow truck driver, fire photographer, you are not depending on a scanner to directly provide assistance in the incident.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
To me professional means that you are using a piece of equipment, whether it is a radio or a axe, to perform you job. For a piece of Public Safety communications equipment I feel it means that you are depending on that said equipment to save, protect or enhance a human life. If you are going to use a scanner to monitor police, fire or another Public Safety agency to respond to an incident where you are not directly involved in the incident, tow truck driver, fire photographer, you are not depending on a scanner to directly provide assistance in the incident.

In general, I agree with what you have said but as we all know MANY public safety organizations put scanners in their vehicles for interoperability and situational awareness.

Therefore, in practice it would seem that officially scanners do have a role to play in public safety at the professional level. However, as you mentioned they are NOT the primary means of communication and for good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.