Repost: SHP Callsign Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am sure this is a repost (as this happened Sept last year and I hope someone else besides me posted this):

Special Operations Section was renamed Troop I.
*SHP Troop I*
Dist 1 - Criminal Interdiction Units
Dist 2 - Motor Units (formerly -M-)
Dist 3 - Reconstruction Units (formerly -R-)
Dist 4 - Aviation Units (formerly -Z-)
Dist 5 - Haz Mat Units

Troop I have offices in Cary, Benson, Winston Salem and Asheville.

There are still the -S- units = Executive Protection
and -X- for Headquarters Cars.

Marshall KE4ZNR

WA4MJF

Troop I reborn, used to be the Interstate Troop, many moons ago.

Ronnie

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Will they have their own set of talkgroups set aside or will they use pre existing ones ? Just Curious

Flyham

They normally have their on TG's however most of the traffic will be on the whatever dispatch channel handles the county / district, they're working in. (ie I-400 in Raleigh will most likely be on the C-3 VPR TG, unless he's calling the hangar).

Of course this could change tomorrow!

NwJ

KM4WLV

It's been several months ago but I thought I heard an odd sounding " I " car / call sign but I just blew it off thinking that it was one of interstate/traffic guys..... BUT a week, close to 2 weeks after that I got behind a SHP car and it was one of our local pilots that flies out of the Rowan County Airport and I noticed he had an " I " designation on his back glass but I missed the numbers. He was moving when he passed me, LOL.

I just blew it off and thought he either had some sort of spare car or something. This explains what I saw.

ben94gt

I hear I units on regular SHP channels all the time, even when the helicopter guys are flying.

televiper75

Premium Subscriber
Sort of off topic - but can anyone tell me which agency a "8Vxx" unit would belong to? Just heard him assisting with an MVA on the interstate - at one time, I thought the old NC DMV Enforcement used those numbers or DMV Inspectors - I didn't think the #s were still around?

WA4MJF

A District 8 Inspector. 8 would be similar to H Troop. V used to be Weigh Station folks, but they are now Patrolmen in the NCSHP, as are the former M and R units, so Inspectors changed from W to V. I think HQ units are still X, but been retired a long time. Personally I liked the old 4 number system, I started as 1581.

Status
Not open for further replies.