Reprogrammed scanner... now wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixdude

Greetings, all.

Over the last few days I have reprogrammed my Pro-96, and ... wow! The main reason I did it was to get Raleigh PD again, but I had never programmed it with fire/EMS tac channels, so listening to fire/EMS was boring since all I ever got was the initial call. Now there's so much to listen to, I can't hardly track it all anymore. :)

Anyway, it appears that there isn't much anymore in the way of conventional scanning in Wake County. And, it appears that much of the trunked scanning is digital now - much more than used to be. But, then, the last time I programmed my scanner was 3 years ago this month.

A while back, there was a "post your scanner files here" thread, but it appears that this thread hasn't been used in a year or so. I was wondering how people lay out the scanning in their Pro-96 units, so I thought I'd look at that thread. Oh well.

For me, I mostly listen to Cary/Apex/Holly Springs PD, and now Raleigh PD (couldn't get it where I live, when it was on VHF, but now that it's on VIPER I can get it). I'll probably listen to fire/EMS more now that I have tac channels programmed in.

I have RDU airport (AM/FM conventional, and trunking) programmed in, but I rarely listen to those. Ditto the local amateur radio frequencies. I have some other VIPER stuff programmed in as well (WSO, and other local things) but I rarely listen to those as well.

And, as a real bummer, once upon a time, a year or more ago, I switched back from the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna to the stock antenna, just to test the differences, and ever since then I can no longer find the 800 MHz antenna. BUMMER! I need to buy another one sometime...

Zagadka

I'm having a similar kind of "wow" though from a noob perspective. I also listen primarily to Apex, Cary, Holly Springs and have figured out how to program Viper etc thought I suspect I'm slim on Raleigh PD. It would be fun to compare notes sometime. I'd very much appreciate someone who's been around awhile showing me what I'm missing or what I could do better/smarter.

3's & 8's

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Heck guys, the 3rd Monday of each Month, the Tarheel Scanner/Shortwave Radio Group meeting is held in Northeast Raleigh at the Red, Hot & Blue Restaurant off Falls of Neuse Rd. Most Months I am able to make attendance and usually bring with me at least my Yaesu VX-5R and my Uniden BCD396XT if not my BCD996XT as well. I also usually have my laptop with programming software on hand to help program a Uniden Radio with Freescan. Of course anyone and everyone are always invited to the meetings and our topics cover "DC to Daylight" or the entire spectrum. A few months ago I gave a demonstration and presentation on using Trunk88 to monitor VIPER.
Our next meeting should be Monday, April the 19th.
Of course most weekends (when the weather is decent) I can be found out at RDU Airport General Aviation snapping photos (like these Apache Longbows) and listening to aviation comms. Anyone is welcome to stop by KRDU General Aviation and say hello and talk radio geek stuff as well. :)
BTW UnixDude--Let me dust off my old Pro96 and try to post an updated Win96 file for ya. These days my Pro96 is delegated to only monitoring the Raleigh PD Dispatch Talkgroups but I still keep the rest of Wake Co programmed in for the heck of it.
I will try to post something in the next day or so.
Happy Monitoring to all!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.