• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repurposing Vehicle “Shark Fin” Antenna Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6HRW

Many newer vehicles are factory equipped with a “shark fin” antenna that is flush mounted on the roof. As many of us are reluctant to drill a hole in the roof for a new antenna and then fish its wire through the headliner, has anyone found a way to ‘leverage’ an existing fin location for this purpose (while still preserving functionality of the original)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'd have a hard time using any of it for transmitting and retaining factory AM/FM functionality. If you were going to do receive only, you could "T" off the feed to the AM/FM radio and feed a scanner with marginal results.

I did have a friend that removed his off a Mini-Cooper and installed a screwdriver antenna in it's place. He put in a coax switch so he could use the AM/FM radio if he wanted.

There are a number of manufacturers that make 'shark fin' type antennas that will support GPS, WiFi, LTE as well as various LMR bands. But none that I've seen that retain AM/FM or satellite radio capability.

I understand the desire to avoid drilling a hole, but there's good reasons to do it, and very few not to do it.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
StiCo makes a substitute antenna for the "shark fin" antenna cut for various two-way radio frequencies, such as 136-174 MHz, 440-469 MHz. a dual-band utilizing both of the aforementioned frequencies, plus another set of multi-band "shark fin" substitutes that include the 700-900 MHz spectrum. I may not have the exact frequency ranges for the exact StiCo antennas, but they are *VERY* expensive. Plus, another install tech told me that the splitter they have as an accessory doesn't work well, bringing back typical AM-FM broadcast reception. He suggested NOT using the splitter for the broadcast radio, rather running a wire, usually running around the front or back windshield, and connecting that to the AM-FM broadcast radio. They make a specific adhesive-backed wire antenna for these purposes. You'll get in a bind if you have Sirius/XM because that needs the "shark fin" cut to the satellite frequencies, or it just won't give you proper reception. StiCo also makes magnetic-mounted versions of the above-disguised models, but we all know about the disadvantages of "permanent use" of magnetic-mounted antennas.

All this rigamarole can get expensive for the parts, plus labor for an experienced tech to install all or some of the above.

StiCo Disguised Broadcast Communications Antenna 070521-01.png

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
There is a company called disguised antennas. You can find them on Facebook but they also have a website, disguisedantennas.com although my phone isn’t want to load the website. They make covert antennas for most vehicles that can replace the fm antenna. Many of their antennas were made to use with the APX8500 so they will cover V/UHF/7-800. Looks cool. They also have an eBay store. Their antennas are supposed to be all American made. I’ve never used one and have only seen one (maybe they are that good). Really it comes down to what vehicle you have and if there is much of a market for a covert antenna. Lot of stuff floating around for Dodge Durango and some Jeeps. The one I saw was on a Nissan Pathfinder.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Does have a data antenna on there too. Sorry the photo is not exactly super clean. Either way the unit has a plain tag, very hidden lights, normal color compared to most other 5-0 cars in the area (Tennessee). If not for the GPS / Data antenna on there you’d never know it was an agent’s vehicle. His radio is an APX8500 with an O3 HHCH that lives in the arm rest until he needs it. Speaker is mounted under the seat. Several other alphabet soup guys there had similar setups, but others only used handhelds. The O3 under the armrest is popular. As for myself I have a bit of an antenna farm (4 in total) on my SUV so I’m not in the cool kid club although on my side of the fence I actually don’t have that many compared to the neighbors. If I knew performance wouldn’t be awful I’d definitely give this a hard look. So if you decide to try it out give us an update and a sweep of the antenna would be really cool if anyone can produce one.

Attachments

• 65820DDA-C846-4DCF-A1E7-C847CCA4F3F0.jpeg
    65820DDA-C846-4DCF-A1E7-C847CCA4F3F0.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 49

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Drill it. A rubber plug fills it in the end, and no trade in worries. Been doing it to mine for 30+ years, never a regret, and never a question or worry at trade in time.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Drill it. A rubber plug fills it in the end, and no trade in worries. Been doing it to mine for 30+ years, never a regret, and never a question or worry at trade in time.
Certainly the best option of course. In the case of not wanting anyone to be aware they have a radio the OP’s inquiry about replacing the factory antenna isn’t far off. It is an esoteric item and of course the price tag reflects that. Most of us could live with a decent dual band antenna on a mag mount. I suppose it depends on the application and available funds. Also if you significant other dislikes antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.