• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Request advice for 2000 Chevy Suburban Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpy911

I just bought a 2000 Chevy Suburban and I want to mount a switch box, siren and eventually a 2M radio. I have an idea but I am not sure how to go about it yet.

I am looking for mod ideas and what type of material to use. The 2000 model has a cassette deck in the middle console. I have removed that. My thinking is to modify that area of the console. Not sure if the switches or 2M rig will go there. I do want to try the siren in the middle though.

Here is a picture.

bec583847ca0826c11c86f0b34c735b3.jpg
e49d329483aaabb18844037cdbd26d11.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My brother in law mounted an Icom F621 UHF radio in the cassette deck slot of his 2000 or so GMC pickup. Worked pretty well and looked almost factory. Wish I had some pictures of it.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This is how I have my radios installed in my 2002 Yukon XL (same as a Suburban). Works quite well for me.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 303

Stimpy911

If you could tell me what you did to modify the middle section for those radios you will be my new best friend lol. This is exactly what I want to do but not sure to go about doing it.

sefrischling

I used a sawall, cut out the front, then installed to supports, of brackets from True Value on the inside, mounted to the plastic shell. From there I secured the DIN box to the brackets, secured the radios in, and a friend of mine cut me a piece of black plastic to cover up the bottom hole. The top hole is where the cassette deck was, I just cut it wider and slipped the 996xt in, the bottom was where that storage space was, which I had to entirely cut out. It is not as strong as I'd like, but it works. I wish I had shot photos of how I did it.

I gutted the whole inside, rather than remove it. I just took the Sawzall and cut straight into it, removed everything, then worked with the empty shell.

Stimpy911

That's what I was thinking. So you cut out all of the guts and made brackets.

sefrischling

That's what I was thinking. So you cut out all of the guts and made brackets.

Yup. I spent maybe $15 on brackets at True Value. They don't need to be heavy duty at all. There is essentially no weight to the radios. Took me a few days to figure it out, but once I did, it only took me 2 hours or so to get it all together. I spent more time cutting , to ensure I wasn't destroying the shell, than I did assembling.

Once you gut it, it will feel weak and wobbly. This is why you need to secure it with brackets attached to both sides of the exterior walls, to make it stable again. Flat head goes on the outside of the walls, facing into the vehicle cabin. I didn't think that through initially , it was easier to have the nut on the exterior, but forget how it looked, my daughter kept whacking her ankle into it some how in the passenger seat.

Stimpy911

This is the switch box and the other is a Whelan siren or eventually a 2m rig
6824c8aad868d469900bd41f94788cb7.jpg

Stimpy911

What did you buy for the brackets.

Stimpy911

My idea is to reuse my brackets from this jotto desk. Take plastic and put behind the brackets and then find a way to secure everything in place.
8625aa229de3c2e03729b720b35f4257.jpg

sefrischling

What did you buy for the brackets.

The basic, cheapo, galvanized straight brackets and small (single hole per side) 90º brackets. Once you see them in Home Depot or True Value it'll make sense and jump out at you. I really wish I had photographed how I did the work. my apologies.

Stimpy911

That's okay. Your pic is the closest thing I have found to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.