Request: Capital District Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunebugKFD257

Feed Provider
Just slowing getting back into scanning, I am in the market for a new P25 receiver. I'd like to pick up Albany and Rensselaer County P25 systems if possible. I live about 3 miles south of the Village of Coxsackie (Greene Co.). Is there a hardware setup ( cable and antenna config) that could make this possible? Thanks in advance.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Here's the site details for the Albany County, County Cell Sites and Metro Cell Sites, and the Rensselaer Simulcast Sites. Using your home location, you can estimate the distance to these individual towers. You'd be looking at a distance of about 20 to 25 miles from either systems' towers. Based on the expected range of either P25 system, you'd be outside the receivable range of both. That doesn't necessarily mean you're out of luck, as terrain between you and these sites will play a big role. Your first option is to consider an external antenna mounted outside and high above the roof line of your home. The higher, the better. The antenna should preferably be an omnidirectional type rather than a directional yagi. This is because you'll need to receive from multiple directions. That said, both Albany County sites and the Rensselaer system appear to have towers on the Helderbergs, so a yagi (which has better range) aimed in that direction may be effective in receiving both as a last resort. Also keep in mind that the Rensselaer system is Simulcast, which can be a challenge to receive without distortion on many scanners. What scanner will you be using?

JunebugKFD257

Feed Provider
Here's the site details for the Albany County, County Cell Sites and Metro Cell Sites, and the Rensselaer Simulcast Sites. Using your home location, you can estimate the distance to these individual towers. You'd be looking at a distance of about 20 to 25 miles from either systems' towers. Based on the expected range of either P25 system, you'd be outside the receivable range of both. That doesn't necessarily mean you're out of luck, as terrain between you and these sites will play a big role. Your first option is to consider an external antenna mounted outside and high above the roof line of your home. The higher, the better. The antenna should preferably be an omnidirectional type rather than a directional yagi. This is because you'll need to receive from multiple directions. That said, both Albany County sites and the Rensselaer system appear to have towers on the Helderbergs, so a yagi (which has better range) aimed in that direction may be effective in receiving both as a last resort. Also keep in mind that the Rensselaer system is Simulcast, which can be a challenge to receive without distortion on many scanners. What scanner will you be using?
Thanks Bob. I'm looking at the BCD996P2 at the moment, but if I am lucky, the SDS200 could be mine. I live in an HOA here so I'm not sure how much antenna I can get away with.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden 996P2 is a well-regarded scanner on this forum, but the SDS200 would be a better choice to monitor Simulcast such as Rensselaer County. My 536 has no trouble with the Albany County system using either an inside antenna suction-cupped to my nearby window, or an external discone mounted above my roofline. However, the Rensselaer system suffers from Simulcast distortion on the 536, no matter what antenna I choose. But then, I'm somewhat equidistant from multiple towers on that system. My Unication G5 handles the Rensselaer system flawlessly, however. You should check your HOA restrictions for outside antennas. You could speak to a board member, if you have one. I also live in an HOA but never had trouble with the installation of my discone.

Status
Not open for further replies.