Request Data Channel? What TG is it???!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
So when i hear a Deputy say "request data" for a out of state plate etc, they get transferred to a different frequency to a U.S. database dispatch to check the plate or info of someone out of state.

Anyone know what TG a Jeffco Deputy gets transferred to get data etc on a car from out of state?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Data channel also called a clearance channel by many depts is often a different dispatcher dedicated to clearances that day and in JCSO example it's TG; 1407. A good one to keep locked out.

Also more and more depts are running there clearances via mdt's.

Jim<

jfab

Ryfly said:
So when i hear a Deputy say "request data" for a out of state plate etc, they get transferred to a different frequency to a U.S. database dispatch to check the plate or info of someone out of state.

Anyone know what TG a Jeffco Deputy gets transferred to get data etc on a car from out of state?
When a plate is "ran" it is checked through two databases, CCIC(Colorado Crime Information Center)and NCIC(National Crime Information Center). As well as the DMV for any important records there. As Jim said, it is usually just a dispatcher on the other side of the room from the primary channel dispatcher that will check what ever needs to be checked for that officer. Also as Jim said, Data/Clearance channels are good channels to lock out. They are typically very busy with boring stuff, which could make you miss the good calls. Plus, if a car is stolen or a suspect has a warrant, you will hear about it on the primary/dispatch channel because the officer will require back up at that point if he doesn't already have it. Hope this answers your question.

This does make me wonder though, why do officers have to request data or check to make sure they are clear for data??

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
It's an old carryover protocol from Jeffco's VHF days when the "data" channel was simplex on 155.430. Basically it kept the potential of multiple units colliding over the air to a minimum.

Phil.

Scan-Denver

Some smaller departments dispatched by Jeffco such as Mountain View officers don't always have a computer in their car to run clearances or in the case of one particular officer that hasn't been given a login/password to do clearances yet, they have to request the data/clearance channel and do the check that way.

Scan-Denver

jfab said:
This does make me wonder though, why do officers have to request data or check to make sure they are clear for data??
It was explained to me that in order to keep the back log/wait time down to a minimum, officers have to request the data/clearance channel. Also the same person dispatches for Jeffco fire depts and if there is any fire emergency's going on at the time, the clearances will have to wait.

Last edited:

RodStrong

In Mesa County, it is very common to hear Officers/Deputies ask the primary Disatcher "Is Data up?", which is asking if the Data channel is manned by a Dispatcher and is actually in use. The Dispatcher will either say yes, or will tell them to run the party/plate on primary if Data is closed.

May be different on the front range, but our Data channel, which is dedicated county wide (any agency can use it), is not manned 24 hours a day, and at times, Dispatcher shortages or other situations may cause the Data channel to be closed.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Actually, "request data" is the same as telling the dispatcher that the unit will be off the dispatch channel and where they'll be.

jfab

n0doz said:
Actually, "request data" is the same as telling the dispatcher that the unit will be off the dispatch channel and where they'll be.
I knew that, I just wondered why they requested it instead of saying "i'll be on data"

resq197

Along those lines, sometimes you'll hear the dispatcher ask a field unit if they're "clear for data" which may mean that whatever info came back may not be suitable for the contact/suspect/etc. to hear directly over the radio so it gives the officer a chance to step away if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.