request for antenna location suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixfreak0037

Premium Subscriber
I have this thing in my backyard. As you can see it's up on a hill. The other picture is of my house from underneath it on top of the hill. As you can see it's actually pretty close to the height of my house.

I probably already know the answer to this but I just wanted to ask. I probably want to mount my antenna to the side of the house just above the roof line, keeping it as far away from this thing as possible. But what about putting it directly in the middle of this tower? I wouldn't have to mount it very high because it's already up there, so if it fell it wouldn't even touch the tower. The transmission lines are way up there. It would also kind of hide it.

Even so, it's probably too risky and the power company probably wouldn't like it. Also, I'm new to radio, so I don't know what kind of interference that would cause. We used to have a cordless phone and it would stop working if you stood directly underneath it, but I don't know if it was because of the tower, or because I walked out of range.

Any thoughts?

John

Attachments

• mr-shocky.jpg
    mr-shocky.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 298
  • house-from-hill.jpg
    house-from-hill.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 347

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Don't even think of it. Where the transmission tower is is a private right of way and you would be trespassing on the power company's property. Also God forbid one of those hi-powered lines comes down and is live (always assume down power lines are alive) more than likely something bad will happen! That could be in the range from burning down your house to even your death by electrocution.

If its power lines, just stay away from them - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.