Yaesu: Request help with a Yaesu VX-170 HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIREUP

Hi Gang,
It's been a while since I've been here. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If not, please direct me to the area where I should. But, here's my situation. I have a Yeasu VX-170 HT that is around 11 years old or so. It has been infrequently used for those 11 years. But, I've recently re-entered the HAM world and, have been a bit more active in general radio use and conversations. This little HT has been a good little radio. But, just recently, I've developed a problem with it that, I think, I know the answer. It has the original battery in it. That battery has been cycled, or, discharged and recharged I don't know how many times, in the 11 years. What the problem is, is that, when I key up to call on almost any channel that I've programmed, the radio goes completely BLANK!

That is, the screen goes blank and, then, when I let off the PTT button, the radio comes back alive and, it's on a different channel. I re-find the channel I tried to call on and, hit the PTT again and,, BLANK. Then, it makes the same noise it always does when powering up after turning the radio on. Only, it goes to some channel that it likes or, whatever. Now, here's maybe a hint of the answer to the problem. Most of the channels that I have programmed, are programmed to transmit on the HIGH power setting. But, if I momentarily adjust the transmit power to LOW, it will not do what I'm describing and, will allow me to call whatever or whom ever I'm calling for. But, it's on very low power. If I put the power setting to MID level, again, the radio goes blank.

So, I have no other ideas other than, the battery is on its way out. The radio is fully charged or, so the LCD dial says. I have let that radio sit on the charger for however long the instructions say to. When I pull it off the charger, it will say over 8V. But it will settle down to about 7.4-7-2 not long after. But, even at 7.2 - 7.4V, when now hit the PTT button, it goes blank but, starts right back up. Now, if there's enough static in the air that the squelch is triggered, and I key the mic, it will go blank but, when it re-ignites, it does come back to that channel.

So, what say all? Is my battery just not powerful enough to use HIGH power when trying to transmit? I mean, even when I'm trying to transmit on simplex, 146.520, and not trying to trigger a repeater, it still goes blank. And again, even if I set the transmit power to MID level, even for simplex, it goes blank.

Battery?
Scott

PACNWDude

+1 on battery. Also have a VX-170, HS-370 (Marine VHF + Commercial LMR), as well as many other radios. This is common for the radio not getting the voltage/amperage it needs, and holds true for many mobile installs as well.

Chronic

FIREUP

Hey gang,
I surely appreciate your help here. Yeah, I kind-a thought that it might be the battery since it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 years old or more. I guess 11 or more years is fairly good service for something like that huh? Well, I appreciate the link to the battery sales business. Before I wrote the original post, I looked them up on Amazon and found one for $20.00 and could have it in a day. We'll see. Gotta wait 'till after Christmas. Me and the Mrs. spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much on "stuff". Gotta let the pocket books cool down some. Just after the first of the year, I'll pick one up and post the results.
Scott

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what make of battery you found on Amazon. I ordered a couple from them a couple of years ago. So as with a lot of knock offs, you get what you pay for. I have found these non Yaesu batteries to last about 60-80% as long as the regular Yaesu FNB-83. When charged, they show 8.4v but quickly drop to 7.8 at a much faster rate than Yaesu [new and old Yaesu]. As you mention, after about 11 years, as expected, the original NiCd and NiMh batteries both start to fail. But at roughly $4 a year for battery can't complain.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hey gang,
I surely appreciate your help here. Yeah, I kind-a thought that it might be the battery since it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 years old or more. I guess 11 or more years is fairly good service for something like that huh? Well, I appreciate the link to the battery sales business. Before I wrote the original post, I looked them up on Amazon and found one for $20.00 and could have it in a day. We'll see. Gotta wait 'till after Christmas. Me and the Mrs. spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much on "stuff". Gotta let the pocket books cool down some. Just after the first of the year, I'll pick one up and post the results.
Scott

11 years is a hell of a good run for a radio battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.