Request to Move Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In the "Collaboration" section of the Wiki, Collaboration Categories Page 3, on the page linked by "US National Parks Frequencies" is a link to the Cherokee National Forest. This is misplaced as the U.S. Forest Service manages National Forests, not the National Park Service. It should be moved to the page under the "U.S. Forest Service Frequencies" link.

I have no idea of how to move the Cherokee National Forest to the page for the U.S. Forest Service.

The page accessed by the "U.S. National Parks Frequencies" link lists many National Parks along with a few counties, all in Utah if I'm correct. It is confusing to have some counties listed and are likely listed because they have a unit of the National Park system. However this is redundant as the same National Park in those counties is also linked directly by its name on the same page. The county links should be deleted from this page.

While I'm at it I want to say that the title "Collaboration" for the link on the main page of the Wiki is confusing. I searched and searched the Wiki trying to find the information accessed by this link. I didn't click onto "Collaboration" as I thought it was a list of those who collaborated in building the Wiki. After many years I finally clicked onto this link and was very surprised at what I found. The title of the link should reflect the information that can be found there and "collaboration" does not. In fact, I find the Wiki main page to be confusing and have a hard time finding what I need when looking on it. But, collaboration is the most confusing.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well I didn't start using 'collaboration' - that was a Lindsay idea. I'm not sure I like it either....

To move the Cherokee article, edit the article, go to the bottom and change the categories. That's all there is to it. Once that's done, the MediaWiki software will reindex the page under the new category automagically. That's part of the power of wiki categories.

And if you think something is redundant, in most cases you can delete them yourself, unless the page has been locked down. There are very few of these, comparitively speaking, in the wiki.

Thanks for contributing....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One thing about the categories - they are picky about the spelling and caps. It must be the name EXACTLY or it will flag the category in red, which means 'this category isn't complete and/or cant be found'.

Just look at the other articles if you're not sure of the spelling. That will never steer you wrong

Please maintain the parent / child relationships built around some of those categories - they're there so that, in most cases, frequencies can be found relatively quickly

Mike

ecps92

Removed the NPS and changed to US Forest

In the "Collaboration" section of the Wiki, Collaboration Categories Page 3, on the page linked by "US National Parks Frequencies" is a link to the Cherokee National Forest. This is misplaced as the U.S. Forest Service manages National Forests, not the National Park Service. It should be moved to the page under the "U.S. Forest Service Frequencies" link.

I have no idea of how to move the Cherokee National Forest to the page for the U.S. Forest Service.

The page accessed by the "U.S. National Parks Frequencies" link lists many National Parks along with a few counties, all in Utah if I'm correct. It is confusing to have some counties listed and are likely listed because they have a unit of the National Park system. However this is redundant as the same National Park in those counties is also linked directly by its name on the same page. The county links should be deleted from this page.

While I'm at it I want to say that the title "Collaboration" for the link on the main page of the Wiki is confusing. I searched and searched the Wiki trying to find the information accessed by this link. I didn't click onto "Collaboration" as I thought it was a list of those who collaborated in building the Wiki. After many years I finally clicked onto this link and was very surprised at what I found. The title of the link should reflect the information that can be found there and "collaboration" does not. In fact, I find the Wiki main page to be confusing and have a hard time finding what I need when looking on it. But, collaboration is the most confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.