Requesting an update on new units/manufacturing status

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuggieActually

Premium Subscriber
Would it be possible to get an update on new units being produced? Possibly how long the waiting list is and/or when you possibly expect to catch up?

I completely understand if you don't want to share the information, and that you're so busy providing support and updates that putting out more hardware has perhaps taken a back burner.

I'm asking both because I'm curious, and because I'm on the list and it would be nice that have an idea of what to expect time-wise.

Thanks!

btt

Banned
Banned
Thank you for asking. While I did my best to get ahead of the component shortages being caused by silicon hoarding (or whatever the reason), there are now more parts that have become unavailable. I wasn't able to purchase all of the P25rx components in quantity due to limited capital / credit limit. The decision was made to purchase the components that were suspected to be unavailable for some time. More components have become unavailable. I've been working on a new hardware design with alternate components. The initial prototype is working well. I am waiting for a couple more components to test. After local testing is complete, I will have some testing done in a more challenging area. I'm shooting for having a limited number of units available for purchase within the next 3-4 weeks. Keep an eye out for a new product announcement. The P25rx will resume production as the electronic components markets return to normal.

AuggieActually

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I had wondered if component shortages had played into it.

On a somewhat related subject, if there's anyone wanting to sell their P25rx, let me know!

Mike_G_D

Thanks for the update. I had wondered if component shortages had played into it.

On a somewhat related subject, if there's anyone wanting to sell their P25rx, let me know!
Definitely NOT selling mine! In fact I was planning on purchasing a second unit soon sooo... reading Todd's message has bummed me a bit but...them's the breaks, as they say.

To you're question - I have seen one or two on the RR Classifieds in the not-too-distant past so might be good to peruse that. Good luck!

Now I am also REALLY curious about the "new hardware design" Todd mentioned!!

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
Todd,
Any new features in the "New" P25RX design?
Yes. I'll go into more details when it is ready to sell, but I'll share a couple of the differences. The new design will include a wider tuning range. including the UHF-T band (470-512 MHz). It is a super-het, with a narrow, highly selective IF filter (external to the silicon).

shirsch101

Premium Subscriber
Todd,
If needed I have access to a large P2 system and also a large county T-Band system here outside of Philadelphia

Reactions: btt

GROL

First P25RX-II test unit headed for the east-coast shipped today. Will report results soon. Confidence is high with local testing. (only P1 active here).
Good news. Thanks! Can you share how many requests you have, and how many units you may be able to fill if all goes well?

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Any difference with the P25RX-II and original P25 internal hardware. I was one of the early adopters.....

btt

Banned
Banned
Good news. Thanks! Can you share how many requests you have, and how many units you may be able to fill if all goes well?
It depends on how the parts situation goes. The parts I have in inventory are in varying quantities. There are other parts that I still need to buy If I could, I would purchase all the parts necessary. I don't really want to list it out here for obvious reasons. One of the limiting factors is the MCU. Before I started this new design, the MCU for the P25RX had been long gone due to the shortages. I identified another MCU part with the same core, but a different package (BGA). This is the 'V' version of the part (480 MHz) in a BGA package. At that point there were several thousand available. I purchased 10 for testing and designed the pcb. After ordering some prototype boards, the part that appeared nobody was buying, disappeared from one vendor. The next day I purchased some more on credit from another vendor that still had thousands in stock. Then those were all purchased by someone. There are no more MCU parts anywhere. I have what I have. Hopefully it will be enough to get through this shortage period. That is just the story for one part.

Any difference with the P25RX-II and original P25 internal hardware. I was one of the early adopters.....
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the P25RX-II has a wider, contiguous tuning compared to the P25RX. It also has a highly selective IF filter external to the silicon. The form factor is the same for now and will hopefully be able to stay that way. I'll have more details later.

goldmyne99

There are no more MCU parts anywhere. I have what I have. Hopefully it will be enough to get through this shortage period.

Todd,

With all of the global supply issues (past, present, and future), it takes a special personal drive/desire to continue developing products and not just walking away.

THANK YOU !

I am a very happy customer that appreciates what you have created in the P25RX and truly wish you great success as this journey continues with a new design!

GROL

It depends on how the parts situation goes. The parts I have in inventory are in varying quantities. There are other parts that I still need to buy. If I could, I would purchase all the parts necessary. I don't really want to list it out here for obvious reasons. One of the limiting factors is the MCU. Before I started this new design, the MCU for the P25RX had been long gone due to the shortages. I identified another MCU part with the same core, but a different package (BGA). This is the 'V' version of the part (480 MHz) in a BGA package. At that point there were several thousand available. I purchased 10 for testing and designed the pcb. After ordering some prototype boards, the part that appeared nobody was buying, disappeared from one vendor. The next day I purchased some more on credit from another vendor that still had thousands in stock. Then those were all purchased by someone. There are no more MCU parts anywhere. I have what I have. Hopefully it will be enough to get through this shortage period. That is the story for one part.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the P25RX-II has a wider, contiguous tuning compared to the P25RX. It also has a highly selective IF filter external to the silicon. The form factor is the same for now and will hopefully stay that way. I'll have more details later.

-edit: I should have mentioned that this design has already been through several revisions and prototype builds now in an effort to achive the best possible performance. The receiver that was shipped yesterday is a pre-production unit, but is functionally and electrically equivalent to what I expect will be the final production design.
Lots of good info and perspective. Thanks!

btt

Banned
Banned
The second P25RX-II test receiver has shipped to Chicago. I hope the two people that are going to be testing these units have the same kind of success I'm seeing locally. It really is a noticeable improvement over the P25RX from my testing so far. This is especially true when it comes to mobile. I can't wait to share more about the design and specs after the performance in challenging environments has be validated.

AuggieActually

Premium Subscriber
The second P25RX-II test receiver has shipped to Chicago. I hope the two people that are going to be testing these units have the same kind of success I'm seeing locally. It really is a noticeable improvement over the P25RX from my testing so far. This is especially true when it comes to mobile. I can't wait to share more about the design and specs after the performance in challenging environments has be validated.
Please stop, I can only anticipate so much before something bursts.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
I've had my P25RX for about 6 weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Since this thread is about new units and design, FWIW I'll add a couple ideas on the hardware. I like the form factor of the enclosure. The only change I'd suggest would be to have both the USB-C port and audio port exit the back of the unit instead of the front. Not sure if that's possible with the current board design, but this would improve the usability when it is sitting on a desk or on the dash of a car. It is cumbersome to have the cables coming out of the front.

Anxious to see the new product announcement!

Status
Not open for further replies.