Required parts and best practices for D-130J roof installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

harjotsandhar

Hello everyone,

I've been away from scanning for far too long, and have spent the past few weeks doing the research to get me back in the game.

I have someone coming over this weekend to install a D-130J antenna for me on the roof, and neither me, nor him have done anything along these lines before.
Can I please get your input on the questions (related to the parts I need to order) listed below so the entire process goes as smooth as possible.

1. Would any type of coax cable work or do you recommend a certain rating? I expect the total cable run to be between 30-50 ft.
  2. For now, I'm interested in only listening to lower frequencies (primarily airband), so would the UHF connector be fine? I've seen people talk about N connectors, but I believe its more to help with higher range.
  3. My roof eave overhang is over 12 inches (photo attached below), can you please recommend a j-mount or another good option that'll work with this much of an overhang?
  4. I live in Toronto, so we end up getting windy, icy, snowy weather, is there something I can do to weather-proof this setup?
  5. I know it should be grounded, but I'm not too familiar with the setup, so I'm relying on my friend for that (he's a network installer, not much familiar with grounding outdoor antennas, but he's doing his own research)...is there something that we should definitely watch out for?
  6. At the end,I believe I need to order the following parts: UHF connector (on the antenna end), a good coax, a BNC connector (to connect to the scanner), a j-mount (or something along these lines).
Many thanks in advance for your help. I apologize in advance if some of these questions sounds stupid, I'm just trying to take as many precautions and do as many right things as possible.

Hnet.com-image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.